PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended chain for 85 250r

jr66645
04-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Anyone have a specific brand that they use for a good chain on a 250r? I am concerned about throwing the chain and taking out the case. I ordered a nice aftermarket case saver and was looking for opinions on chains. Thanks

RIDE-RED 250r
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
As with almost everything, you get what you pay for. Especially with things like chains. Main thing IMHO isnt so much a particular brand, but strength rating, and o-ring/x-ring links. Get as heavy duty and high quality chain as you can afford. Save the bargain bin $20 chain for the ATC110....

jr66645
04-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Cool man thanks. I am heading to the dunes this summer and was tossing around the idea of v paddles or haulers. I am leaning towards the haulers and was wondering if i got the haulers and was slow on the bottom end, I would switch to a smaller front sprocket. Would I have to take a Link out or would a stock chain size work on a different ratio?

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2011, 11:36 PM
It's unfortunate but I seem to only trust the 80$ plus chains (aside for the ATC70's).

However, I must admit that I've had friends run those cheap colored chains and they just seemed to stretch more/ more adjusting; But I never saw any of them break......

pmktm
04-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Find a KTM shop and get a good O~ring chain [RK, DID]. Do not use a aluminum sprockets. If yo gota look cool get those Supersprox with the gold center[alu] and the black[steel] out side. I run O~ring chain on all my toys.

muthey
04-16-2011, 03:35 AM
I almost lost my left arm to a cheap chain snapping on my Kawasaki ninja at 80 mph. The chain was designed for a 750 and I was running a 600 eventually it stretched further than I could adjust and it snapped. 400$ later and I was back on the highway with a really nice o-ring chain built for a 1000 cc motor and the security that I won't lose an arm. When it snapped it came out the back and ricochet off the turn signal before sucking back in and breaking in three places and taking out the tranny cover.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
In general, you can go up or down a tooth on the drive sprocket without changing the chain length, as long as you start with the proper length chain for the sprocket sizes you are running. And yes, if you want a little more grunt on the low end, a smaller drive sprocket will give you that. In case you are wondering, its the opposite with the rear sprocket.