PDA

View Full Version : 110 KLT no spark

110klt
04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
OK I am going to buy a manual but in the mean time can anyone give me a pointer or two of where to start. The bike was running turned it off did some work to it and poof no spark. I have changed the plug a few weeks ago and it looks ok. Now maybe the 27 year old run switch flaked out, I am asuming since the bike has a crank start and a magneto style ignition like a lawnmower that the switch just grounds the coil to shut it off. So what wires could I pull off to check that out with an OHM meter. Also I pulled the recoil cover off and shined a light inside it looks really cruddy so maybe the crud is insulating the magnet from making current? I am going to try and pull the flywheel and at least try and clean it up.

Anyone out there have much for ideas or help I would appreaciate it.

110klt

MonroeMike
04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Service data.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?127027-KLT110-amp-KLF110-Service-Data

Manual
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o2xtbm

gobigorgohomw
04-13-2011, 08:22 PM
same problem with my 1984 200S. Buy a new ignition coil. check for spark, if no spark hook battery up to the old ignition coil and try. If not, then check all wires for current. you dont need an OHM meter. Just don't be stupid and you wont get electricuted

110klt
04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
OK I checked a few things with a meter and if I am reading things correctly and puting my leads in the right spot the secondary coil is showing open. Guess I'll go downtown and see if I can buy one and give it a spin. Thanks so far for the help, keep your fingers crossed.

110klt
04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I tried the coil. And when trying it I noticed sometimes I get a spark and sometimes I don't. Asked the guy downtown at the bike shop what his buest guess would be and he is guessing the pickup coil in the engine. Can we still get new ones, or maybe aftermarket ones online somewhere? He is calling for price and availabilty but he was unshure if he could get one through Kawasaki. So now dismantled on the garage floor, she sits waiting for help.

Any ideas?

jeswinehart
04-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I would recomend to pull the side cover off, the side with the wires coming out, and see if the eltonics is soaked in oil.
If it is remove the oil best you can with a rag and hose out with carb cleaner and see if you have consistant, decent spark.

110klt
04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
is there a good tool out there to pull the (I will call it a flywheel) off????? The deal that covers the statator....

jeswinehart
04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
If you do pull the side case cover off and no trace of oil inside it there will be no need to go any farther unless you want to get to the coils.

110klt
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
yes that's my plan if it's not a million dollars. To go ahead and replace the 27 year old electronics that are half baked and cracked. So is there a good tool to remove that flywheel?

110klt
04-26-2011, 08:05 PM
OK looking around ebay I see stuff for sale. But the guy down town say's there are 2 differant styles for the 84. Is there a way to tell in the serial number what I need? He wants $300 through Kawasaki I see a new old stock on ebay for $180. Just dont want to pay more then I need. And I really don't want to buy stuff I cant use..... Any help?

shortline10
04-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I believe the only differences are the plugs . Look at yours and hopfully you can see what your buying to match it up . They all work and interchange if you dont mind splicing wires .

OK looking around ebay I see stuff for sale. But the guy down town say's there are 2 differant styles for the 84. Is there a way to tell in the serial number what I need? He wants $300 through Kawasaki I see a new old stock on ebay for $180. Just dont want to pay more then I need. And I really don't want to buy stuff I cant use..... Any help?

110klt
04-26-2011, 08:47 PM
tried to look at a few micro phish pictures on a site or two. I don't see any part munber differances in the main components. worse case sinero is I have to change a plug or stip and replace the components on the old mounting plate. Hmmmm this may work.....

AtcFactoryRacer
04-26-2011, 10:29 PM
In your first post you said it ran, then you did some work to it and then it wouldnt get spark. What work did you do to it? Maybe its something simple like and unplugged wire, something that you easily overlooked. Before i would buy a new stator i would put a meter on the wiring plug coming out of the stator. Crank the motor over with the pull start and see if you are getting any volts out of the stator( make sure you check the ignition output not the headlight output). If you are getting volts out of the stator i would check the wiring harness, kill switch, and ignition coil. If you arent getting volts out of the stator you can order a flywheel puller from just about every atv parts supplyer( i use denniskirk.com) to replace the stator.

110klt
04-26-2011, 11:09 PM
yes it did run. I replaced the carb and it didn't want to start. I pulled the plug and checked the spark. it only sparks ever once and a while. thats all I know.