PDA

View Full Version : bought a 84 200es in a box....

whiteciv
04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
I just bought a minty 84 with a blown motor. It appears there could have been an issue with the starter gear. It looks as if the starter driven gear broke right off the colar that it is welded to. The gear damaged the casing, the starter clutch assy, and the crank timing gear as well.

Has anyone seen this before?? I'm not a small engine guy, and I am new with trikes.

I have a new starter driven gear on order, and also a new starter clutch.

Is there a colar that goes on the crank shaft that spaces the driven starter gear away from the casing?? I ask this cause I was mocking up the old parts, and It appears that the driven gear will fall naturally past the needle bearing it rides on, and hits the case. There may be a part missing that I'm not aware of. I've checked multiple parts look ups, and nothing shows a spacer or colar there. Does it sit right against the lower timing sprocket on the crank?

Or is it possible that the lower crank timing gear has jammed farther on the crank shaft??

Please help me.

Thanks!

whiteciv
04-13-2011, 10:23 AM
can anyone help??

cox
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
I have no idea how to help you. But if you end up parting it out or you happen to have a spare CDI box. Ill buy it....... lol

whiteciv
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM
seems like the CDI box is a common issue, isnt it. i havent had mine together yet, so i dont even know if mines good.

gobigorgohomw
04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
heres what you do in these situations. Take the cost of what you bought it for and subtract the cost of fixing it. if what you get is negative either a. sell of craigs list for parts. or B. toss the engine and rebuild another. sounds like the thing is too far gone to fix.