PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the buck engine mods (350X)

SonicTronics
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Just wondering what y'all think gets you the most extra power for the least amount of money. I have been reading through different threads of people doing engine work and it seems as though they will do something, and say the power is awesome (once it's all figured out), but without having all too many people dyno'ing trikes its hard to compare different prices/power increases. Also sometimes hard to follow when you don't know exacty what people are talking about with different brand names, the somewhat off topic posts, and others' suggestions all mixed in.

Can anyone possibly just give their brief experiences and roundabout costs for motor work. I have another crank and I was considering doing a stroker motor with maybe a slightly larger piston. But would I see more leaving that all alone and going with a new cam and springs? I have a general working knowledge of what the parts are and how stuff gets assembled, but as far as which parts work best with which I am kinda at a loss. Thanks guys.

ametzker
04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx I personally don't like the strokers on engines this big as you lose some rpm. Go with a hi comp piston like the wiseco above 12.1 compression and a Powroll cam together for around $400 including machine work.

Or this link http://www.powroll.com/P_HONDA_ATC350X.htm

If you have the bones for the 393cc kit $345 dollars and you can have up to 13.1 comp and add a race cam for $195 and maybee a set of hardened rockers for $130 you have a sweet 350 that would run with dam near anything. I used Powroll cams on my smaller bikes they are a great company. Tell me what you end up doing.

SonicTronics
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
O yeah forgot to add that I wanted to continue running on pump gas. Not a fan of running race gas. If it helps I am a bigger guy at about 225, so I love the low end torque (not that it's any slouch now), I rarely ever get to top it out on the trails I ride and do a lot of climbs.

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
You said cheap mods..... Thats not Powroll.

You can take off the airbox lid, add a Supertrapp exhaust and jet up the carb which wakes it up quite a bit. Then there is the 400EX carb added to that, all cheap mods. May take awhile to nab a cheap ST exhaust though...........

Any piston, cam, hardened rockers,gaskets is 500$ plus easy. Stroke it and bore the cases, add a few more hundred to that. Then a 200$ FCR carb to make it all work well. NOT cheap mods...........

AtcFactoryRacer
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
I agree he said CHEAP mods. I would install a 400ex cdi box, buy a aftermarket exhaust, and jet and fine tune your stock carb. If you found good deals you could get away with spending 100 bucks, And you would notice a big difference in power

sledcrazyinCT
04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Can anyone eloboarate on installing a trx 450R muffler on the 350X? I like the power it has enough for my riding style and area, but am sick of neighbors b!tch!n to me about the RCM pipe it has on it currently. I figure the muffler and the 400ex carb would be a good combo for me. Please post pics if any memebers have mad the 450R muffler mod

sledcrazyinCT
04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Is there a thread showing how to mate up a trx 450R muffler to a 350x?

honda200xatc
04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Here is a pic of the exhaust on a 350x thanks to atc350xer

I will find link and post it of how the exhaust attaches to headpipe

honda200xatc
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Here is the forum post of how they fit the 450r muffler to the headpipe

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?128682-350x-mid-pipe

SonicTronics
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
I have a DG exhaust on it now. Stock carb, honestly not a clue on jetting. Doesn't seem to e running too rich/lean at any point, plug comes out looking just right. I'm willing to put money into it but I don't want to drop 2-300 bucks on something that I'm not gonna be impressed by if that makes sense.

Also, what does changing the CDI box do exactly?

RubberSalt
04-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Jetting is the cheapest hp you can get.