PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an Ebay auction I just won, Shipping a frame

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I won this auction on ebay this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190519519057&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

In the auction seller states a $50 shipping charge to ship the frame. Now he is telling me it is going to cost $108 to ship the from from Las Vegas to here or $50 if he ships it via Greyhound but i will have to pick it up at a terminal, the closest one being an hour from here.

Who here has shipped a frame and how much did it cost and how did you ship it?

shortline10
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Ask him to get a USPS parcel post price , it shouldnt be that high .

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
This is the latest response I got from the guy about the shipping:

I DID RESEARCH ALSO ON USPS.COM AND IT SHOWED THE PRICE AT $30. BUT WHEN I BROUGHT THE FRAME TO THE POST OFFICE THEY SAID THE ODD SHAPE COSTS MORE AND ADDED AN EXTRA $78 WHICH BROUGHT THE TOTAL TO $108 I WAS STUNNED. I HAD IT READY TO SHIP AND EVERYTHING THINKING I WAS GOOD ON MY SHIPPING QUOTE. I PUNCHED IN ALL THE DIMENSIONS, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN $30. THE USPS.COM REALLY IS NOT ACCURATE.

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
According to the seller it is $108 parcel post.

thestud25
04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I have had that happen before. Tell the shipper to wrap it in plastic wrap or bubble wrap, slap a sticker on it and then get a quote.

tommerp
04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
If he can get it in some sort of a rectangle box, it should be cheaper... Come to think of it, UPS should be cheaper than that even for a loose frame!

jrsqlc
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I have had that happen before. Tell the shipper to wrap it in plastic wrap or bubble wrap, slap a sticker on it and then get a quote.

this is a good way to ship it.
If it was me, i would make him cover the shipping!! you should ALWAYS check the 'real' cost to ship before the auction starts!
It also makes a difference from and where its going with USPS. I personally would use UPS wrapped in plastic like stated above.

I know it stinks, but sometime the seller has to eat the cost of these kind of things!! I have sold over 2 grand worth of things on EGay in the last 6 months, and had to eat the cost of shipping on 2 items becuase the buyer was in alaska!! that happened twice, no fault at all on buyers part, i should have stated that in the ad!

bkm
04-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I shipped a 250r frame to Canada wrapped in shrink wrap for $109. It shouldn't be anymore than $50 I would imagine usps.

scruffy390
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I sell on ebay (user id's hawkeye390 & scruffy390) and after looking at the listing and the sellers feedback and response I believe he made a honest mistake on shipping. Shipping is tough and easy to make a mistake. I cover any sharp edges / corners with small pieces of cardboard and then wrap them with plastic wrap and place shipping label on the plastic wrap. You may want to place another copy of the shipping label on the frame inside incase the plastic gets torn off during shipping. I ship smaller items with USPS and larger items 5 - 7 lbs or more with fed ex (recently switched from UPS). The very large 4x4 quad frames are too large for UPS so I ship them with freighqote.com but your 350X frame
will be fine with fed ex or ups. I have heard several ebay sellers use greyhound and they say they are much cheaper than other shipping company's for very large items but I do not live near a terminal so I have not used them.

If the shipping cost had been listed $100 in the listing the frame would not have been bid up as high so you should not have to pay the full bid price if you pay actual shipping too. I truly believe this seller made a honest mistake but you should not have to pay for someone else s mistake.

cattle-dog
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
i recently quoted a shipping price off the top of my head to canada, i had never shipped to there before well needles to say it cost me $12 over my total price to ship it but i ate the cost its part of the game

stroberts22
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I just bought a 83 250r frame from the same guy and he sent me the same email as you received. He made the mistake twice.

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
What happened in your case Stroberts22? Did you pay the difference or did he eat it?

bkm
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
That doesn't sound good. It seems to me he wanted the bid to go higher and now he is trying to recoupe some of his money from shipping. I may be wrong but how can you make the same mistake twice on almost identical items.

tri-Z ripper
04-11-2011, 08:07 PM
try these guys its what my local shop uses, but nevermind not for just a frame.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/german0024/2b921b49.jpg

Dirtcrasher
04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Ask him to get a USPS parcel post price , it shouldnt be that high .

Vealmonkey got one shipped to me in Mass and I believe it was 78$ parcel post.

If a seller has, or opens a FEDEX account, they save 10%. Then shrinkwrap and send it away, that has always been cheapest for me. I sent a Banshee frame to CA. I'd have to look it up but it wasn't bad at all.

The auction says 50$ in the auction, his bad and his loss.............

EBAY = BINDING CONTRACT!

Edit - did you see that egged out swingarm bolt hole? faded paint? doesn't look like the typical CA. type 86 frame. If he says forget it, you may be better off; Who knows.........

Brockey
04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I shipped a 250r frame to Canada wrapped in shrink wrap for $109. It shouldn't be anymore than $50 I would imagine usps.

And I never got charged no extra for it. It worked perfect. Thxs again btw. :)

sledcrazyinCT
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I ship UPS at my work and they will add a $8 surcharge to anything not wrapped in cardboard.

stroberts22
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
What happened in your case Stroberts22? Did you pay the difference or did he eat it?
I won the auction yesterday and paid for it including shipping and he sent me a email today saying the same thing that yours did.

yooperman
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
sounds like a shady situation to me. i can see one oops but two in a row, and to have the same email to both you guys makes it even more fishy. like posted earlier in the thread i think he is trying to recoop from not getting what he actually wanted out of the action. good luck fella make his shame rear end pay the difference especially since it wasnt an accident if it happend twice.

Howdy
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I would tell him that he can't charge more for shipping than what he had in the auction listing. If he refuses to honor it then report him to ebay.
Howdy

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Well I spoke with Ebay tonight about this issue and Ebay told me that I am responsible for any shipping charges for the item. The seller has to eat any packaging and handling fees, but all shipping charges are to be paid by the buyer. They also told me that the shipping rates on the auction are just an estimate and can change at any time. Even though I told them that this seller has done this before to another buyer with another frame, they said see if you can use that as leverage with the guy.

Dirtcrasher
04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Well, IDK if "Mohammed" was the person to reply to your question, but EBAY responses don't even seem to fit my questions sometimes.........

You are responsible for "the shipping costs listed in the auction" is what "Habib" should have said to you.

Ask them again, in as few words as possible; They don't seem to read long paragraphs.

stroberts22
04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm going to try the greyhound shipping. There's a station pretty close where I'm working.

ironchop
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
i ate the cost its part of the game

and that`s what you should do....you make a mistake, the buyer shouldn`t have to pay for your mistake

I have eaten more than $100 total on my own underbid ship figures on several items I have sold

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Well I talked to Ebay on the phone not through chat or anything and I actually had an american on the line too. I sent him a message telling him I would split the difference on the 108 so we will see what he says.

Howdy
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

What not to do
You're not allowed to provide inconsistent or misleading information on the terms and conditions of the sale.

Once the buyer has committed to purchasing the item, you can't change the terms of the sale.

Examples of prohibited behavior include:

Entering an amount for shipping costs when you're listing an item, and then indicating that you charge a different amount either in the item description or after the buyer has committed to buying the item
Providing false tracking information

Stating in a listing that you accept returns, but refusing to do so after the item's been purchased

You're not allowed to say that you're not responsible for item delivery or ensuring that the item is delivered as described. For example, we don't allow statements like "I am not responsible for the item once it's dropped in the mail."

fabiodriven
04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
DING DING DING!!!
Bravo Howdy!

Howdy
04-11-2011, 10:35 PM
DING DING DING!!!
Bravo Howdy!

10 sec Google search took care of the question.
Howdy

Billy Golightly
04-11-2011, 10:49 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?99094-Frame-shipping-trick...save-yourself-mad-bank.

RapidRick
04-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Personally, I'd walk away from it. First b/c of the shipping cost, Second b/c of the swing arm bolt holes are toast, and 3rd b/c I think the frame is cracked in the usual place. Just my opinion.

If you not a welder you're going to have to have some one fix those swing arm holes and if the frame is cracked there is at least 2 hrs there also IMHO.

fabiodriven
04-11-2011, 11:16 PM
BigMike is well aware of the worn out swinger holes and we are more than capable of handling that issue.

Big Mike
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks Fabio. I did not see the crack they are talking about.

stroberts22
04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
The guy took our frames back to the post office and was able to ship yours for $30 and mine for $33. He even offered to refund me the $17 for shipping to. He made good on my ebay deal with him.

Big Mike
04-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah he did, he told me he is going to send me back $20. I am glad this worked out. He also told me that he has 10 trikes at his house he is going to be parting out. I told him he should join up here and give us all first crack at the parts. We shall see if he does.

fabiodriven
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow. I can't say I saw that ending coming. Sweet.

atc007
04-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Not done till they're touching their parts.. Hope it all works out!

Tippmann98
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
How was he originally quoted $108 and then got it down to $33?

Big Mike
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Because the guy he was dealing with at the post office the first time failed the Tape Measure 101 in school. The WOMAN, the 2nd time around measure correctly and voila no oversize charge of $78 on each frame.

rdlsz24
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
That's cool it worked out for you. Makes me wonder if I ever got charged more than I should have to ship large items in the past because of the person behind the desk.

Rob