PDA

View Full Version : 86' 250es big red checklist before first ride?

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 08:36 AM
:wonderingHey can anyone give a list of things to check prior to taking my big red out for a "real" ride? I purchased all new cables and have already put on the foot brake(works great) but other than that what fluids should be checked/changed, etc, etc, etc. I did cheat a little by putting a little MX80 fuel tank on off another project (pushed to the side for now) and riding around the yard for a few moments to make sure everything functioned (seems to all work:Bounce)while I'm in the early stages of Kreeming my disappointing :(Ebay tank. Any preventative advice would greatly be appreciated.

mrmello
04-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Change engine and diff oil, Clean carb if needed and brakes functioning should be good to go!

The BR is almost bullet proof....

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks Mrmello! do you happen to know the oil types and weights?

mrmello
04-11-2011, 08:57 AM
I used 10 w 40 ATV oil. You must get the oil for wet clutches, reg motor oil is no good for the clutches. You can go heavier but here its still a bit cold so I used a lighter oil.

In the diff on my dx I used synthetic 75-90. Its the oil we use at the shop in Semi diffs so I thought it would be good enough for my bike lol

hublake
04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
The rear differential should have 80-90w gear oil. I use Quaker State10-30w in my engine. Don't forget the oil filter and make sure you follow directions and get it in the correct way. If it goes in wrong serious problems to the engine will happen. That is what I do on mine and I have had it since new. Never any problems with the engine.

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback! Gonna show my newness to 3 wheeling but where would the filter be? Is it internal or external? And also how much oil is required for the diff and motor?

MonroeMike
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Check section 2 for oil and filter change.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/Manuals/ATC%20manuals/atc250es-85-87servicemanual.pdf

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Got it! Thanks MonroeMike!

Thorpe
04-11-2011, 09:50 AM
And air up the tires... I hate when one rear is lower psi than the other...

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks Thorpe! I just had different used tires put on at the local shop (old ones were dry rotted) and they aired them up. Still holding but I guess it would still be a good idea to double check the pressures.

k00leo
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Make sure that everything is bolted down. Especially the nuts&bolts that hold on the wheels onto the hub.

That's something I'm always paranoid about.... going 50 down the road and next thing you know a rear wheels pops off... YIKES

trikenut3
04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Did you find your air filter ? You have to take the rear fenders off and it's in the airbox ( right about where you would sit ) remove the lid to get to the filter . Keep the air filter clean ; motor has to breathe to run trike brotha ! Love my BR ; very durable machine .

MRSOUND
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
KOOleo..Put the rims back on myself after tire change so lug nuts are tight...trikenut3...I have everything from the air box back removed for cleaning and or replacement. Filter didn't look bad but will replace it while it's out anyway. Not much of fenders to be found on this one:cry:. But I got new Mairs off eBay.
Thanks everyone for all the feedback:beer! Keep it coming! I'd like to fix this up as good as $ will allow but I definitely want to have it safe and reliable first.

mrmello
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
75/90 Synthetic is a replacement for 80/90 reg gear oil.

I run synthetic in the diff because I plan on running it in the winter.

Use WET CLUTCH oil only not regular motor oil, trust me your clutches will thank you for it. I ran reg oil in my 200 and had to replace one way bearing and clutch. Regular oil is no good for the clutches.

250esbigredNY
04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
best use motor oils is Honda oil with 10w40 ( use 2qts and half) I always use Honda oils in any of my Honda ATC's. check the diff. oil when it's up to the fill the hole diff oil. they Have the shaft drive diff. oil at Honda dealership. they are best products for your machine need but they cost a little bit more but worth it. have fun by riding your 250 big red. i have 2 250 big reds.

MRSOUND
04-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Got oil And filter changed today. Also got Kreem acid wash/etching soaking in gas tank. Hope to get rear gear lube changed tomorrow. Picked up a motor cleaning tip off another thread:idea:Engine degreaser (I used auto zone brand) brass wire brush and terry towel. works great to get grit out of tight places and scratches in the metal! May not be new to most but something glad I found:Bounce Any other helpful tips on on prep, detailing definitely will be appreciated!