PDA

View Full Version : I need some help asap.. please help..

dusty29male
04-09-2011, 04:42 AM
ok first off, i'm a 29 year old male in northern pernnsylvania that has the love and passion for anythree wheeler, married with 4 children. My oldest boy (hes 12) and I have a few father son projects that we have going on (2 1984 honda 200x's, 93 CR250, 85 CR125). On our one 200x I can not seem to figure out what in the heck is going on. Ok.. We bought it for a 100$ which was amazing, it's an 84. We dont ride it hardly at all (we are going to be in the process of restoring it to new) because you have to pop start it to ride it. The kicker will not engage but here's the wierd part, you can pop it in third gear and ride it all day long park it shut it down and kick it and it will start ? what the hell.. if the motor is warm/hot it will kickstart and start, but if it's cold it doesn't even engage.. now how in the hell does that make sense? I work and put in overtime everyweek just to support my family I cant afford 500$ for our local atv repair shop to "split the case and repair it" they just tell me that, but they wont tell me what actually has to be done. what causes this and is there anyway anybody can guide me through the process to fix it ? I would really like to learn and pass it down to my boy. if it would be easier you can call/txt my cell as well 8143661531.. it's a really nice 200x, just needs some tlc. also. we are restoring it to new and going to be starting new, buying one part at a time (every pay) i'm buying new plastics and seat and all that and having the frame and handlebars powdercoated.. can I get the rear axle and all that powder coated to ? when you see a threewheeler all restored how do they get it all to look brand new ? is that what people do is have it all powder coated ? even the motor looks brand new on some of the ones i see .. Do they paint them ? or have them powder coated ? because the paint has come off parts of my motor and looks a lil ruff.. how can I restore it back to persay new ? this site is the best, and I appreciate all the help thanks guys..
Dusty

shortline10
04-09-2011, 06:28 AM
The kick starter ratchet spring is bad along with the 2 ratchet gears . You can back cut the ratchet gears and you might be able to stretch the spring to fix the problem . Best to find the oem upgraded spring if you can but their hard to find .
Lots of threads here on this subject so read up .

hoosierlogger
04-09-2011, 07:14 AM
The bad part is there is not an "easy fix" the motor has to be taken all of the way down to get to the starter ratchet. You have to be damn sure every thing goes back in the right place too. I have an 85 200x that I split the cases on. Even following the manual to the T during re assembly, something got in a bind and the shifter is stiff. I think I have pinpointed the problem to the shift stopper plate. Time will tell.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for getting a kid involved with 3 wheelers.

Mosh
04-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the site.

Whoa lotsa questions.
1st off read this thread. A ton of info on the 200x kicker issues.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?57972-What-makes-200x-kick-starters-slip-Several-soloutions-inside!&highlight=back+cut+gear

Most folks powdercoat for a clean long lasting resto or rebuild job.
You can powdercoat the axle. Alot of people paint the engines with hi temp engine paint, or you can PC the engine too, if it is 100% apart. All of your bolts can be re zinc plated, or you can buy a complete Stainless steel bolt kit on Ebay for 120 bucks or so. There are members on this site that can restore your seat to new factory look and Maier will probably be your best bet on plastics if you are riding this machine,since OEM plastics will be very expensive and hard to find.
If you are going to go 100% OEM restoration then be prepared to spend some coin.
Good luck with your build.