PDA

View Full Version : Removing 86 250r chain rubber

dcreel
04-08-2011, 08:02 PM
First off, I have a manual. My guess would be that Honda was too ashamed to explain what a mess this was going to turn out to be. First off it's a Phillips head screw to remove the chain rubber at the front of the swingarm. I would think that a bad idea to begin with. Second, to put it right behind the "V" in the frame..? I mean come on.. So I put the bike up on a jack to let the rear droop, but I can't get on the screw straight and I'd hate to strip it (Why wasn't this a bolt again). I had my wife sit on the bike hoping the screw would clear the rear leg of the subframe so I could remove the screw.. not even close.

So do I gather up a dozen or so neighbors to sit on the back of the 250R so I can get to the screw. Please don't tell me I have to pull the swingarm, or pull the shock to get to this screw head.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to get this screw out? I've bought more new tools since I bought this 250R..

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/001-39.jpg

Yamaha3wheeler
04-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I can't tell you how to get to it. Maybe go in every fast food resturant and find the perfect customer to sit on it. Hopefully some 250R guys will chime in.

I wanted to give you other advice. Go to harbor freight tools and buy the heavy duty screw impact driver set!!! Do not attempt to use a screwdriver on a bolt that has been on there for years. It is like $6. Trust me, $6 is much better than drilling out the screw. Do it now!

Also, might be a good idea to buy a new screw when you are done.

squirrel1182
04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Do you have one of those angled screwdrivers? One of them might get it out if its not siezed in too bad.

RoscoW
04-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Come on Doug why do you have to be like that:lol::lol::lol:.
I've never changed one without having the swingarm off anyway so I'm only guessing but if you undid the top shock bolt would that let it drop enough to get full access ??
At least you don't have to remove the swingarm like that other brand....:rolleyes:

dcreel
04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I knew that was coming, Ross.. I earned it.. :lol: If it doesn't work I'll be back to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro and whine some more. :D

Red Rider
04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
First off it's a Phillips head screw to remove the chain rubber at the front of the swingarm. I would think that a bad idea to begin with. Second, to put it right behind the "V" in the frame..? I mean come on.. Sorry to hear about your issues you're having with this. On the bright side, Honda must have taken notice of this less than satisfactory design, because they changed it on the 88-89 TRX swingarms.

Check it out, they ditched the phillips head screw in favor of a bolt, and they put it where you can get to it too!

dcreel
04-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks guys.. Especially Ross. After looking at what a PITA it would be to remove the top shock bolt, I instead took the easy way out and pulled the bottom shock bolt. It drooped with way more than enough room. Got the screw out, new part, and put a brand new bolt in it.. WOOT!!

Shandad
04-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Top bolt off the shock should do it. I found using an impact driver takes that screw right out. I changed out my phillips head for a button head allen bolt and it works great!

RoscoW
04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Glad to help, If it keeps you from beating the R with a pipe I've done my job:lol::lol:

Ross..

Dirtcrasher
04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
An 8mm head bolt or allen would be allot easier to deal with.....

Hey, At least it isn't one of the ones the whole damn swinger has to come off to install!