PDA

View Full Version : some 250sx questions

skidoo99
04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
im sure these questions have been answered before but there is no search in the forum anymore?
ive got a 200x front end on my 85 sx and when riding on pavement the front wheel wobbles like crazy. where should i start.

my buddy has an 86 and when it is running without a battery installed the headlight and tailitght work yet mine do not. i installed a new battery and everything worked until the battery died. is this a dead stator?

one more thing, i havent been able to find a master on off switch with a functioning choke lever, so my cable hangs. has anyone used any other choke levers from any other applications?

thanks for the help all!

atc007
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Just common sense stuff. Get your bike off the ground,Inspect your wheel bearings,prolly shot. Forks,may have play,steering head bearings,,could be bad. Yes,your lights should work without a battery. A used switch shouldn't cost you much more than $20-$30. Then it's all correct. Electrexusa,and rmstator,among others,have excellent troubleshooting and guides for ohms,etc,,,to troubleshoot your stator. good luck!!

skidoo99
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
common sense huh? im not a tard and i dont need wheel bearings. the wheel bounces left to right. no matter where i look i cannot find a swiitch that has a good choke lever and i have bought 3 only to find ppl lied and the lever was broken. thank you though, now i know the lights should be working

brd812
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I can't help with the electical, haven't owned a honda. The front end I can give you a couple other suggestions other than bearings that you may have over looked. fork twist even a little bit will cause your problem, axle shaff bent a little bit will also play havoc with your front end. These girls are getting long in tooth and sometimes a little twik here or there can drive us nuts. I had the same problem with my DX and when I replaced the front tire mine went away. I guess it was flatspoted from sitting or just old, it was the stock tire for 25 plus years. Another suggestion if that does help try your fork seals and fluid levels on your forks, if they are not equal you could have a wobble there to. Does it do it at all speeds or at slow speeds only?

skidoo99
04-06-2011, 09:18 PM
it mostly only does it at slow speeds

briano
04-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Bent wheel, tire has broken cords or ply separation. Are the rear tires exactly the same, you have two wide tires pushing a narrow front, if they are not the same in the rear then you are fighting to keep it straight on pavement, which will make the wheel jump or wobble. As far as the lights, possible bad charging coil. You should be able to find the switch on ebay, or put an ad in the classified section here. Don't be a dick, someone tried to help you out giving you advice, are you sure you don't have bad wheel bearings causing your problem.

skidoo99
04-06-2011, 10:06 PM
yes i know i have a brand new front tire and new rear tires and yes the rear tires are at the same pressure. the wheel bearings are new and if it were a common sense problem i would have been able to figure it out. i was thinking it may be something in the neck bearings cause they are the loose ball bearings and all i have seen are the caged ones. i do appreciate the comments but some ppl should be careful where they throw the common sense phrase out. seems pretty offending in context, sorry if i ruffled any of your sensative feathers

brd812
04-07-2011, 12:06 AM
your reading to much it what was said. we didn't know what you replaced or fixed, your skill level, ect. He was trying to give confidence that you can figure it out. So many are scared to try and fix it on there own and think coming on here, we as group can fix it over the internet without making mistakes. workin on them is half the fun. Check your stem bearings, play with your forks it might be that simple. good luck

Dirtcrasher
04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
It wobbles because the rake has changed with a 200X front end.

Sounds like the lighting coil is not working nor the charging. Could be a bad ground or something in the wiring. Lots of tracing to do.

Most SX chokes hang up due to a dry cable or a dry choke plunger under the plastic knurled cap on the carb where it enters. I've also seen the plungers very corroded. Clean it all up as well as the carb cavity and lube it up.

skidoo99
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
dirtcrasher, that makes sense on the front ends rake changing. i ohmed out the stator and it is withing the spec of .5 to 1 ohm. with the voltmeter on the battery when revving engine the voltage jumps up so the stator is working. the neutral reverse lights will work if the headlights are turned off and engine running. when i rev the engine i can see the headlight barely lighing up.

the choke works properly. what i meant is that where the cable normally goes into the switch is all busted. the cable is new but i cant put it into the switch cause the plastic lever is broken.