PDA

View Full Version : 87 200x owners read this plz

R-tifacts
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Ok I have been building a 87 replica 250r for about 10 months now and once i get my seat back from stenciling it will be done!, I just got a keyed ignition last week but I am not sure where it ties into the harness. I assumed it tied into the kill switch (ground side) at the plug near the neck,121475 but the ignition has two male bullet style connectors and that wont just "plug in". also the wireing on the ignition is far to long to only to go the neck. Before I start cutting wires I thought I would ask for some help so....where does the keyed ignition on the 87 200x plug into? pix would be great.

dirtwheels
04-05-2011, 05:22 PM
The keyed ignition wires plug into the wire harness behind/below the gas tank where a lot of the wires come together in the rubber cover that slides over. Thats why they are longer. They follow along the frame underneath the gas tank until they tie into the main harness.

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2011, 07:50 PM
You'd have to post up a wiring diagram.

Running a switch in series with the lill won't do anything because they kill it when they ground. Otherwise, even removed, they run. I imagine it kills/breaks power to the CDI or coil somewhere.

Easy to do, just post up a wiring diagram but you may have to get some connectors or splice some wires; I'm not sure but you don't have an 87 harness so you are probably missing the connection...........

R-tifacts
04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
when the key is on the circut it open, with the key off it completes the circut, so turning the key off will ground the system killing the machine right? just like the kill switch so i could tie into the ground side of the kill switch?

MojaveRider223
04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
when the key is on the circut it open, with the key off it completes the circut, so turning the key off will ground the system killing the machine right? just like the kill switch so i could tie into the ground side of the kill switch?

That's exactly how the key on my TRX250R worked. The switch grounded the CDI when it was off.

Dirtcrasher
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I just looked at the diagram, it shows the switch as physically "open" in the wiring diagram but when you look below at the switch diagram it shows off being Black/white (from the lighting switch) to green or grounded in the off position.

I don't have a 250R lightswitch diagram, but whatever wire goes to the "run" position can be wired in parallel to the key switch and either "off" at the hand switch or "off" at the key switch would ground it and kill it.

Aka_am
04-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Can the 86 be wired up for a keyed kill?

If not, I'm going to splice into my harness :Bounce

R-tifacts
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Bretmd94
04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
are you doing a build thread somewhere for this, or are you just going to give us the pics when its done?? :wondering

Just anxious to see this :drool:

Dirtcrasher
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Can the 86 be wired up for a keyed kill?

If not, I'm going to splice into my harness :Bounce

Black/white from your light/run switch to ground. Wiring ground or frame ground and the Black white is wired in parallel. Not sure if the connector is there but you can buy factory connectors and make it look OEM.......... (if it's not there already.....)

R-tifacts
04-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I will post a thread once its all done and the weather gets a little better so i can take it out of my living room and get some nice sunny pix. wont be long now!