PDA

View Full Version : PVL Ignition for Tecate: Anyone Running Them?

christph
04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
As many Tecate owners know, the stators--both OEM and aftermarket--burn out. I'm so sick of buying the cheap Chinese stators out there--and they all seem cheap--I've decided to go the PVL route. Is anyone using one of these and what are your thoughts on their performance and reliability? I know they have an internal rotor so you lose some flywheel inertia. I understand they make a 17 oz flywheel weight so hopefully that will add some low end torque. Do they provide a hotter spark? More performance? Are they reliable? Thanks.

big specht
04-05-2011, 08:25 AM
I have one on mine has for performance I never rode one with a stock flywheel mine was bad when I bought it. It runs like a kid on speed just waiting to explode. The only thing I know You hve to get the timing right or they will melt the piston (I never did it)

Maico
04-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Remember too...U will lose lighting also as the PVL has no lighting coil.

hang&rattle
04-05-2011, 08:57 AM
RideRed250R is a dealer for the PVL on here and is a pretty neat fella. Those stators are funny on Tecate's. I have an 84' with the stock one, seems to be just fine. And my 85' has went through 2 ricky aftermarket, but to no fault of it's own, condensation from the cold here caused water to gather and pool. Should have known to pull off cover dry and clean.

scooterroo
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
pvl is faster revving, the flywheel is only like 2 inches in diameter. digityx had a pvl on his old t3, and the thing was awesome in my book. started first kick everytime no matter how cold out it was. i got a complete kx setup on my 85 and 86, alot better then the kxt setup. i have a brand spanking new pvl, still in the box, that i got for the incredibly low price of 50 dollars!!!! that i am holding onto for replacement incase anything goes wrong with the kx setups.

christph
04-06-2011, 12:05 AM
pvl is faster revving, the flywheel is only like 2 inches in diameter. digityx had a pvl on his old t3, and the thing was awesome in my book. started first kick everytime no matter how cold out it was. i got a complete kx setup on my 85 and 86, alot better then the kxt setup. i have a brand spanking new pvl, still in the box, that i got for the incredibly low price of 50 dollars!!!! that i am holding onto for replacement incase anything goes wrong with the kx setups.

What year KX ignition do you have? Does Kawasaki still make them? I assume they have no prevision for lights?