PDA

View Full Version : Restore aluminum wheels?

honda200x1987
04-03-2011, 11:02 PM
What is the best way to restore aluminum 200X rear rims back to the original finish? I have a set that has pitting , can you sand them and clear coat or just polish? I was thinking a local body shop would sand and clear coat them, any ideas?

Jeepermc
04-04-2011, 01:38 AM
try some of the etching aluminum cleaner? Basically diluted acid... Not for use on polished wheels but works decent for cleaning up non coated/non polished aluminum.

honda200x1987
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
I know this is an old thread but I didn't get much of a response . Anyone ever had a body shop restore aluminum wheels? I have a set with pitting from rocks and scratches but no dents. Would they just have to sand out the pits and polish? Also would clear coating be a good idea?

yaegerb
08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I polish aluminum parts. Never did a wheel but it can't be much different. You will need to take the coating off first by using 120 or finer grit glass bead. After that, sand down the pitting, starting with 320 and ending with 600 or finer grit. You can hand sand or sand with a 3M sanding wheel (these wheels can be found at lowe's and the have little flaps in-between a scotch brite pad). If you get the 3M wheel make sure you get the fine grit. Then sand away. After that I would just polish them back out with a polishing wheel or an arbor/wheel on a drill. That's about it. I don't recommend spraying clear over the wheels as it usually yellows over time.