PDA

View Full Version : Clark Manufacturing to Make 86/87 Tecate Tank

christph
04-03-2011, 02:10 PM
At long last Clark Manufacturing will be making the 86/87 Tecate tank. I sent them my tank a few months back and it sat on the shelf for a while. I called them Friday (4/1/11) and they told me it is now being prepared for the molding process. They should have the tanks ready for sale in June or July. It will be identical to OEM with the exception of the gas cap; they use their own design. This means no more bidding wars on ebay. Recently a nice tank went for $500 bucks. This is great news for those of us with nicely restored Tecates with ugly gas-stained tanks.

dcreel
04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Identical could mean a lot of things... Hopefully they do a better job than they did with the 84-85 tanks

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?125225-Clarke-plastics-quality

bcredneck
04-03-2011, 04:03 PM
your going to have people pissed at you now if they had one for sale the price is going to drop like a rock

dcreel
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
your going to have people pissed at you now if they had one for sale the price is going to drop like a rock

ummm... ok.... I'm going to assume that you haven't grown into realizing when you shouldn't speak.. If you think I'm going to let a company slide because I'm afraid of what you or other people may think.. you don't know me very well.. :rolleyes: :wondering

Red Rider
04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
ummm... ok.... I'm going to assume that you haven't grown into realizing when you shouldn't speak.. If you think I'm going to let a company slide because I'm afraid of what you or other people may think.. you don't know me very well.. :rolleyes: :wonderingI believe the people that might get pissed, that bcredneck is referring to, are the ones who have stock Tecate tanks up for sale, because their value may drop due to a "new" tank option becoming available.

tommerp
04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I believe the people that might get pissed, that bcredneck is referring to, are the ones who have stock Tecate tanks up for sale, because their value may drop due to a "new" tank option becoming available.

Yeah but an OEM is an OEM.... these are reproductions. If people still want that "totally original" trike, they will still pay whatever they want for the original tank. Just my 2 cents.

Dirtcrasher
04-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Not only were the first Tecate tanks made poorly, all my white Clarke tanks are yellow.

I imagine the green fading syndrome will happen in time with their new tanks......

3Razors
04-03-2011, 09:23 PM
I thought these tanks were already in the process of being made last year? For the record every green clarke tank I have seen on KX500 or KX250's hold the color very well with no fading. As with most aftermarket products though the fit and finish could be slightly off.

Every white IMS, Clarke, or OEM tank all get that yellow tinge staining with time.

Dirtcrasher
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
^ Green may be a different story. But seriously, every white Clarke tank I have is yellowed........

I have had an IMS white tank for 5 years now, no yellowing at all.

Could be a white thing?

But then again, OEM is superior and look how they discolored?? How could MAIER be better??

Just sharing my thoughts.

nstyle73
04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey at least maybe the petcock will be an improvement, or maybe not, but at least a part that gives guys an option instead of bidding up "decent" tanks on ebay.

yooperman
04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
they tell you any prices?

3Razors
04-03-2011, 11:09 PM
^ Green may be a different story. But seriously, every white Clarke tank I have is yellowed........

I have had an IMS white tank for 5 years now, no yellowing at all.

Could be a white thing?

But then again, OEM is superior and look how they discolored?? How could MAIER be better??

Just sharing my thoughts.

I agree DC it's a white thing. The IMS on my 350X is from 98, but then again its kept outside with just a tarp over so it could be amplifying the discoloration process. My cousin has a white 350X clarke its far worse discolored than mine. Between the clarke and ims tanks, hands down I'd choose the ims..just a better overall product. Maybe somebody could check with IMS for a repro tecate tank? Or Acerbis.

christph
04-04-2011, 12:56 AM

For the record I waited until the most recent ebay auction on a tank ended this Friday. It went for $490. By your logic the aftermarket shouldn't make anything because it drives the cost of discontinued OEM down.

From the perspective of buyers rather than sellers, this is good news. Besides, we're lucky to see one tank per month on ebay and they are usually not that good. This last one was a rare exception.

I wasn't given a price but judging by their other tanks I'm thinking the low 200s.

Hopefully they won't have the problems others have experienced with the 84/85 tanks.

cattle-dog
04-04-2011, 07:04 AM
i believe john swinehart seals the inside of all his plastic tanks and his have not yellowed, i have a clark and it has yellowed,
the clarke on my 350 actually fits well and has no flaws, even the maire fenders meet it perfect.
So i am going to get a new clarke tank and seal the inside then it will stay white.

TatTooL23
04-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I have a Clarke tank on my 350X and it is holding up amazingly. Nice and white and fits well. I am not sure how old it is though so maybe it will take a little more time to start to yellow. Anyone know how long it took there's to yellow?

And even if it does yellow a little I would rather that then what u would pay for a nice mint original tank then dent it from riding. I think that any company that makes any aftermarket parts like this for a trike that has very hard to find and rare parts is great. I mean come on guys, this is a 3 wheeler forum/ community and trailprotrailpro giving sh*t about a guy getting a company to make a new part that is extremely rare and expensive. This is a great thing, if it were a part u needed you would be very happy.

dcreel
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I mean come on guys, this is a 3 wheeler forum/ community and trailprotrailpro giving sh*t about a guy getting a company to make a new part that is extremely rare and expensive. This is a great thing, if it were a part u needed you would be very happy.

The point I was trying to make by posting the link above is in the hope that they build you a tank better than the 84-85 Tecate cobble job they offered us. I was excited they offered a new part until I realized it may not hold gas.. and that makes it pretty worthless to me... I'm not going to shout "GEE, You're great Clarke!" If what they have shown me in their product, and their customer service proves otherwise.. Good Luck..

christph
04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
To keep my OEM Tecate tank from staining further I make sure to drain the gas from it after every ride. The people at Clark told me that the plastic Kawasaki used in the 80s was especially porous and prone to discoloration, and that current plastics are better. It could be that all plastic discolors if you let gas sit in it long enough.

Eric250R
04-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I thought these tanks were already in the process of being made last year?

Yeah, I was in talks with Wide open and Clarke about having these made and was suppossed to have sent them my tank but they both backed out on me, they said there just wasn't a big enough market to justify the cost of the mold. Really hope it goes thru this time.....

bcredneck
04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
For the record I waited until the most recent ebay auction on a tank ended this Friday. It went for $490. By your logic the aftermarket shouldn't make anything because it drives the cost of discontinued OEM down.

From the perspective of buyers rather than sellers, this is good news. Besides, we're lucky to see one tank per month on ebay and they are usually not that good. This last one was a rare exception.

I wasn't given a price but judging by their other tanks I'm thinking the low 200s.

Hopefully they won't have the problems others have experienced with the 84/85 tanks.

i didnt say i dont like when more old parts are made i said poeple selling stock tanks arent going to like it i know i would never spend money on a 20 something year old tank if a brand new one is cheaper

bcredneck
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
and the reason i mentioned it was i was selling a 1965 suzuki k15 tank on craigs list i almost sold it for 150 before the guys freind told him to get a plastic one he aksed me if it would work and i didnt lie and say no so i was out 150

scooterroo
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
get em dcreel!!!!!

3 or die
07-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Is a major manufacture going to start shroud production. New tank with no shroud will look dumb for sure, I've not seen anything.

PS: thank you for getting these made. Been collecting junky old tanks for years.

200x350xtriz250
07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Is a major manufacture going to start shroud production. New tank with no shroud will look dumb for sure, I've not seen anything.

They are already available. Contact member hornetpowerspor, he sells them and the head light shell - fit and finish of the shrouds is perfect. There is some on ebay too - DC plastic maybe for about $80 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1987-KAWASAKI-KXT250-TECATE-3-RADIATOR-SHROUDS-RACE-ATV-JIMMY-WHITE-/271015997201?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f19cfef11&vxp=mtr

3 or die
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I've been asleep, when did dc get them out. I'm so happy!

fabiodriven
07-22-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't speak for the DC shrouds, I've never seen them. Hornet's shrouds are fan-friggin-tasic.

200x350xtriz250
07-22-2012, 02:18 PM
If it were me I'd buy from Hornet. I bought 1 of DC's 2nd gen Tecate tank skin/shrouds - awful fit, finish was a lot like the old dull Maier plastic and to me even worse than that - the plastic seemed to have slight ripples in it. Have not heard of 1 person being disappointed in Hornets stuff. About the same price too.

fabiodriven
07-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Hornet's stuff is nice and glossy, not at all dull.

OZQUAD44
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Are the 86/7 tanks on the market yet?

fabiodriven
07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Are the 86/7 tanks on the market yet?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144400-Clark-86-87-Tecate-Tank-in-Production

3 or die
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, here is a eBay item number for the tank. 360474840011