PDA

View Full Version : 1982 185s Question

saucier33
03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Ok, I have a problem with my trike motor missing at high speeds. Thought it was spark plug, put a new one, nope. New carb, nope, it runs better, but still has problem at high end. I am wondering could it be the coil pack? I talked to a small engine repair guy and he said that coils are typically good or bad and if bad they don't run at all. He said it might be something in the top end such as a valve or something. The motor has never been opened up. It doesn't smoke or anything. It idles find, but if you run it up to fast idle or run it through the gears, it misses, bawgs, and sounds terrible.

Thanks.
saucier33@yahoo.com:confused:

Newood71
04-03-2011, 03:00 AM
check the gas line to make sure there isnt anything blocking it maybe when it gets in the high rpms its not getting enough gas for its needs, or check to see if the carb is adjusted right.

tri again
04-03-2011, 05:54 AM
Sometimes the coil wire where the plug cap screws in gets loose.

If you have enough wire, cut off the very last 1/4 inch and screw the plug cap back on.

Take seconds to do, costs nothing and has been known to help
odd missing type problems.

Any bike shop can check a coil too.
make sure the bolts holding the coil to the frame are nice and clean
because it needs that for part of the grounding circuit.

Also doesn;t hurt to check all connections, especially frame grounds.

RubberSalt
04-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Eletrical is usualy the issue for something like that. It could be running lean - clogged jet or so. Check the fuel line first, it is the easiest. The gas tank should also have a little prefilter going to the pet-cock. Check the fuel filter, Make sure your not running old gas either.

At high RPMS, if you can, pull the choke half way out and see if it runs any better, if it does, you may be lean and need a larger main jet.

saucier33
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I will check the electrical connections and fuel. Hopefully that will answer my questions.

mrmello
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I had the same problem on my 200. Turned out to be a bared wire grounding out on the frame. Check all wires to see if they have beed rubbed bare as well.