PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx will it run funny without a battery

nicko42004200
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Will it run funny? Could this be my bog problem. It runs with no battery. But lights don't work. Sometimes the nuetral light dimmly flickers on. Could this be as simple as a battery causeing my bogging iussue at wot?

JasonB
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
nope. I didnt have a battery for my 85sx for the first month i rode it. Just kick it over and let the system on it run the lights. Im almost 100% positive I rode a month without a battery though with no negative side effects.

nicko42004200
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Ok but my lights don't work so my stators bad, so real low voltage can cuase drivability issues rite.

Thorpe
03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Have you checked your bulbs? Fuse? Ohm'd the stator? Downloaded the manual?

Tecate Karl
03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
It could but thats only if the charging system is going bad and you will have bigger issues than a battery if that is the case.

Matt85'350x
03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
The neutral light flickering is normal w/o a battery (at least from my experience with an sx) but the headlight should still work.

nicko42004200
03-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Ok so took a volt meter. Idle has 1 volt at battery ends. Reving up like 3-4k 3.5 volts max. Checked black with red tracer per the manual and its open. Says replace stator. Well I put in a fully charged battery and bog still there. Lights do all work with a battery. So I'm still stuck on this bog. One thing I noticed my filter is going from half full down to like a 8th full and when it does it rpms go up. Float issue causing a lean condition. Also on the pilot jet is there suposed to be a o-ring on the top gap by the flat head screw part? I don't will this cause a vacuum leak or any issues.

Headsup
03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
The headlight will not work without a battery, I ran mine for a while no problems with no battery at all..

Also if u do get one, Which electric start is beast.. The cheapest lawnmower battery will work fine, Been using the same one for months now..

And it wasnt 75 bucks like the one was it should have, No difference..

35 bucks i think it was

Tecate Karl
03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
I got my battery from walmart and its a sealed battery it fits good and I think I paid 40 for mine

Tippmann98
03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
The headlight will not work without a battery, I ran mine for a while no problems with no battery at all..

The headlight will still work without a battery.

bcredneck
03-30-2011, 08:05 PM
the charging stator has nothing to do with it only 2 post on that stator run the motor id check the pulser coil and start it at night and check every wire and switch for arcing if you have spark the stator should be ok if you still have problems heat up your cdi with a hairdryer if it runs better you need a cdi

Dirtcrasher
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Also if u do get one, Which electric start is beast.. The cheapest lawnmower battery will work fine, Been using the same one for months now..

And it wasnt 75 bucks like the one was it should have, No difference..

35 bucks i think it was

The batteries SOLE PURPOSE is to start the machine with a push of a button.

Maybe, YOURS didn't work but the SX lighting coil takes care of the lights.

To the OP, clean the tank filters, remove all jets and clean them and check the wiring at the CDI; It tends to break there and when mine did, it broke up at high speeds.............

Always run an inline filter.