PDA

View Full Version : 87 TR200X ... possible?

dirtwheels
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
I have been kicking around this idea for a little while. Take the right half of an 86/87 200x motor and the left half of an 87 TR200 (fatcat) motor and mate them together into an 86/87 200x. The result would be an electric starting 200x, while still leaving the full manual clutch and 6-speed transmission which you cant get on the TR200. Not that the 200x needs electric start but it would be a cool mod just to do it. Couple of things I see so far...

For one, you would end up with 2 oil drain bolts since the TR200 drains on the bottom of the left case. Not a big deal. Second, the kick-start on the TR200 is a backwards kick. Not sure if it matters but it could come into play if it pokes through to the left case half. A hybrid wire harness would need to be created from both bikes to accommodate for the electric start, battery leads, etc... Also, the 200x has a decompression cable, and the TR200 has a lever on the top of the cylinder. I think it would be ok to still run the cable. Battery mount would need to be made. Probably could fit it behind the airbox.

Anyway, I am just looking for some opinions if I am crazy or not...haha. I saw on an older thread of attempting a TRX200SX motor in an 86 200x. I see a hug issue with that though as the oil filler would be in the way of the frame and foot brake pedal. And the pull start would be kind of lame.