PDA

View Full Version : 200x problem. need advice please!

sophiesdaddy103
03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I own an 84 honda 200x. I had a new top end rebuild that i am not too pleased with. I have had nothing but problems with it since. i dont even have five hours of riding on the motor. when i'd check the oil, the level would increase. somehow i am getting gas in the oil. i need suggestions on what to do and what is wrong!

John-Boy
03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Sounds like your fuel float is not set right and it's draining fuel into the motor while sitting, are you leaving the petcock on when not in use.

sophiesdaddy103
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
yes i leave it on. if this is the problem how do i correct it

sophiesdaddy103
03-29-2011, 10:08 AM
it also has a leak at the head gasket. is this a problem?

tri again
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
ooooh bad .

I had one that leaked gas into the crankcase, diluted the oil. by over a quart.

Off on those doesn't always mean off so take off the fuel line
turn the gas off and make sure it shuts off. and mark it with mailpolish or something
so you KNOW it's off.

If it was my trike, I'd Drain the oil and start over.
When I get lazy, I just dump oil out the filler neck but since it's a new engine,
you may want to do it right and clean whatever screen or filter too.

Then you can look into your float valve./ float level.
The right way is to take it apart and clean it to perfection.
I usually blow into them and turn the carb upside down and listen for the air hiss to stop,
indicating that the float is at least trying to close when the floats force the
float valve into it's seat.

A cool trick is to put a piece of clear fuel line on the carb drain
and hang it up against the carb and the fuel will come up in the line.

it should be somewhere near the seam where the float bowl mates to the carb body.

I've also gotten lucky by blowing some mystery oil into the fuel line with the carb drain open.

kinda cleans and lubes the float valve.

200XMichigan
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
If you had the top end rebuilt I would be talking to the person that did it and getting some money back or something. The head gasket leak pretty much means the top end will need to come off again soon anyways. But it could be oil from the timing chain and a cheap gasket kit. My crappy Athena kit leaked around the timing chain almost immediately. Also did you smell the oil to make sure there is gas in there? Warm oil expands, some more than others.

tri-Z ripper
03-29-2011, 03:42 PM
i put a teaspoon of mystery oil in my gas every fill up! Your top end should not have a blown head gasket after that short of time. I would demand it to be done properly!

sophiesdaddy103
03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
unfortunately i was a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro and didnt put the bike back together until a few years after i had the motor rebuilt. thus voids any kind of warranty. so it is what it is. just trying to make it right myself. I'm open to anything

mullet_boy
03-29-2011, 05:49 PM
The advice on shutting off the fuel is spot on. If it is leaking, check the float height and replace the needle if needed. As for the leaking gasket, try torquing the head bolts back down to spec again. Might not cure it but it sure can't hurt.

hoosierlogger
03-29-2011, 09:04 PM
are you sure its the head gasket, and not oil leaking out of the valve cover?