PDA

View Full Version : 1983-85 honda 200x and xr 200 carb swap. up and running

ctk
03-27-2011, 08:07 PM
I was reading about this swap. Of all the threads I read I didnt see a clear answer.
When swapping a xr200 carb onto a 1983-85 200x what mods are required?

Do I need the xr 200 intake to match the carb?

Will the stock 200x boot still work with the 27mm xr200 carb?

I read about the angles were different and the stock airbox was in the way.

I think the carb has to be 1986 and newer because the 1984-85 xr 200 was a 4 valve motor.(iirc)

I am wanting to gather parts for this swap. Figured this could be the start of a xr200 swap thread for later use to other 200x owners.

*update*

Heres my setup for this swap.
16210-KT0-000 intake.. Honda part # still available $28(does not come with O-ring)
This is a xr200 intake. It is a direct bolt on for this swap.
XR200 carb. I used a pd32a.
Stock honda 200x air boot will still work.
Stock 200x throttle cable will work.
I changed the jets to meet my motor. My motor/exhaust is not stock.
I kept the xr200 carb all stock except for changing to bigger jets.
My 200x starts easy and has a good idle. This carb swap was well worth it.
It matches my motor/exhaust upgrades nicely. Great throttle response and pulls through all the gears.

big red hemi
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
i just did this swap myself. like you i had lot of trouble figuring out what manifold and carb to use. i ended up using honda part # 16210-KT0-000. this intake was from a xr200R, and got it straight from honda($23.00 i think). this intake has the correct angle and also has a larger I.D. the first intake i ordered was from a 83 xr200 the I.D. was larger but the angle was wrong.

carb
i got the carb from ebay. it was a used item but an original equipment kiehin carb from an 83 xr 200. the keihin # on this carb is pd32A. this carb has a larger bore slider26-27mm
this carb works great from just off idle to screaming though the top end. but i am having trouble at idle. the pilot screw is different than the original carb . i hope the problem is just a pilot jetting issue.
i think the correct carbs to use are
pd27A
pd28A
both from xr200r bikes

performance

my bike is stock except for a bassani exhaust system. the carb and intake add power from idle all the way through the rpm range right to top end. now i can wheelie in third gear. and pull through deep mud and snow in third or may be fourth gear and not run out of power. still have to mess with the idle, but so far the power that has been gained is worth it

ctk
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
thanks for the great info.
I do not have my motor at the house right now. That makes it hard to see what is what.

ctk
03-28-2011, 04:48 PM
thanks hemi
I called the honda dealer. intake is still available..$28

wanna take a pic of your setup for this thread?

big red hemi
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM
nothing real fancy here. the new carb fits very tight to the shock mount. i managed to reuse the stock air cleaner snorkel, but it was tight. the new intake does not come with studs. i reused mine. you will also need both the orings. the oring for the carb flange only comes in the carb kit.

200XCSR
03-29-2011, 11:31 PM
On eBay they also have a 30mm carb for the zr 200 would this also work?

200XCSR
03-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Sorry I ment xr

big red hemi
03-29-2011, 11:41 PM
i would stay away from the brand new ebay carbs. i had bad luck with them. i would look for a used carb. i paid 28 $ for a used genuine kiehin carb, same price as the cheap chinese knock offs.

ps
30 ml will probably kill your bottom end. if your a racer great, trail rider you will hate it.

200XCSR
03-30-2011, 05:28 PM
well my 200x is 80 over and 13:1 compression it also has a cutis sparks head and cam and cant make it idle at all and i mean it doesnt even try

big red hemi
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
i just did this swap myself. like you i had lot of trouble figuring out what manifold and carb to use. i ended up using honda part # 16210-KT0-000. this intake was from a xr200R, and got it straight from honda($23.00 i think). this intake has the correct angle and also has a larger I.D. the first intake i ordered was from a 83 xr200 the I.D. was larger but the angle was wrong.

carb
i got the carb from ebay. it was a used item but an original equipment kiehin carb from an 83 xr 200. the keihin # on this carb is pd32A. this carb has a larger bore slider26-27mm
this carb works great from just off idle to screaming though the top end. but i am having trouble at idle. the pilot screw is different than the original carb . i hope the problem is just a pilot jetting issue.
i think the correct carbs to use are
pd27A
pd28A
both from xr200r bikes

performance

my bike is stock except for a bassani exhaust system. the carb and intake add power from idle all the way through the rpm range right to top end. now i can wheelie in third gear. and pull through deep mud and snow in third or may be fourth gear and not run out of power. still have to mess with the idle, but so far the power that has been gained is worth it

after lots of trial and error i think i finally got the bigger carb (pd32a) working properly.

right from the start i had a very poor idle, and just off idle bog. but the mid to top end was pretty wild compared to the stock carb. i tried 3 different pilots and every needle position, nothing seemed to work.

the air screw in the original carb had a very fine point, and air screw in the in the new carb has a blunt end. i swapped the screws and put the pilot back to a #40. now it idled perfect but still had a very bad mid range bog. took the carb back off and compared the brass fitting that the main jet screws into ( don't know the name). the original carbs fitting has small evenly spaced holes where as the new one has unevenly spaced larger holes. swapped out this fitting and bag now i'm in the ball park. i still have to mess with the needle and a few other adjustments, but now the carb /engine operates as expected.

ctk
04-10-2011, 04:11 PM
How has this setup been running lately big red hemi?

WIkid500
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
I would stay away from the "brand new" Ebay carbs, they care China junk. On my 200x I run an XR 200 carb, and a new intake from Honda off of the newer mid-90's XR. Works great, and everything looks stock. I had to heat my 200x air box connector up in hot water to get to stretch on the carb but all else was easy. Tuning was easy and she rips through the whole power band.

jsmay
04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
ok, i searched oem honda parts and located the xr200r intake... $28. I'm still confused on what carb...26mm? ok and from what years were these used on the xr200's? thanks, maybe i'm over thinking this. I plan to run my 200x with a kerker full exhaust and an open air filter(k/n). I was thinking I could probably use stock jets in the 26mm carb being that its gonna flow more fuel to begin with.. maybe adjust the needle setting(if possible) like the stock 200x. once i knopw the years the 26mm was used on...I can search ebay for a nice oem carb(i have heard the stories about the new china made ones.)

thanks guy's!

big red hemi
04-14-2011, 08:35 AM
How has this setup been running lately big red hemi?

i have not had a chance to ride the 200x for a while. it has more power now, but it is still not perfect. i want to try a few more needle positions, and go one size up on the main.

what i am after is just a crisper throttle response

big red hemi
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM
ok, i searched oem honda parts and located the xr200r intake... $28. I'm still confused on what carb...26mm? ok and from what years were these used on the xr200's? thanks, maybe i'm over thinking this. I plan to run my 200x with a kerker full exhaust and an open air filter(k/n). I was thinking I could probably use stock jets in the 26mm carb being that its gonna flow more fuel to begin with.. maybe adjust the needle setting(if possible) like the stock 200x. once i knopw the years the 26mm was used on...I can search ebay for a nice oem carb(i have heard the stories about the new china made ones.)

thanks guy's!

my carb was from a 83 xr 200. i never measured the slide valve but it is bigger that the stocker. search ebay for rx carbs and ask the seller to measure the slide.

if you buy an xr carb pay attention to the pilot air screw and the brass fitting the main jet screws into, i had to swap out for my originals.

the xr carb i bought had a 115 main i moved it up to a 118and want to try 120. so you will likely have to mess around with your jetting, and its a pain in the ass cause the carb fits so tight. this is just my experience not written in stone.

hope it helps
hemi

ctk
05-06-2011, 10:28 PM
big red hemi any improvements yet?

big red hemi
05-07-2011, 10:41 AM
the new carb works great. it adds good power in combination with my pipe. the bottom end and mid range right where i want it now but still have not tried and 120 main jet. this is a very good mod with a stock engine and a pipe. now it will pull the front tire off of the ground in third gear. its pretty cool

ctk
06-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Ive got the xr 200 carb on right now. About to install the air boot.

ctk
06-19-2011, 04:17 AM
air boot is on. Ive yet to fire this motor up. Most everything is hooked up. After I get this motor broke in and carb running great. I will set this thread up as a info thread

big red hemi
07-18-2011, 11:23 PM
what # is stamped on the side of your new carb mine is a pd 32a. if it is the same as mine the idle mixture screws are way different. put the air screw from the origional carb into the new one along the origional pilot jet that should get you idling.

ctk
07-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Its been awhile since this thread was started. my trike is running great and has tons more power. I have other motor mods than just the carb.