PDA

View Full Version : honda atc 70 no spark.

rynprthr52
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
so i got a 84 honda atc 70 and am having spark problems. i went and bought all new coil, spark plug, and a stator rebuild kitt. got it all installed and still cant get a spark. what could it be

tri again
03-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Hi and welcome to the threads.

You might get faster results posting in the
'trikesylvania' section...more people, more trike specific problem oriented.

You may also see free manuals in the 'world class help' section.

ok, let's see.
is the coil to frame ground super clean?
stator rebuild? you mean you rewound it with new wire?
are all the mounting spots clean as a whistle?

Does the 84 have points? or is it cdi ignition.
I forget.

Either way, I'd check all wire connections, maybe even
use some di electric grease so you don;'t have to even look at them for 20 more years.

Grounds/frame grounds are the most annoying.
make sure they are all shiny clean.

NEW coil with new coil wire?
how about the resistor cap for the spark plug?

The manuals will give you specs to look at and if you can figure it out, the
search function on here will get you Tons of info instantly.

like, "84 atc 70 no spark"

Good luck and keep us posted.

CRAZY70MAN
03-27-2011, 08:20 AM
did you set the gap on points? New points installed? There is a "F" mark on the flywheel and a slot on case. When these 2 align....the points should just and I mean just barely begin to open. You can clean old ones up, but for 10.00 you should use new. The timing on a atc70 is very very critical and a fine line. Also check plug boot, it screws on wire. Cut enough old wire off to get good wire and screw it back on. Gap plug properly and try. Good luck...

rynprthr52
03-27-2011, 01:22 PM
ya they make a stator re build kitt comes with everything new but the plate it atatches to, also comes with new points. and the cap and coil are brand new also. i grinded the frame where it bolts up to and still no luck. i guess all that is left would be getting the timing right and gapping the points.

tri again
03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
ya they make a stator re build kitt comes with everything new but the plate it atatches to, also comes with new points. and the cap and coil are brand new also. i grinded the frame where it bolts up to and still no luck. i guess all that is left would be getting the timing right and gapping the points.

Like crazy70 said, If you can find the 'f' mark on the flywheel, that is where the points want to start opening.

Sometimes, a little piece of paper will pull out from between the points as they just start to open.
which is about the time the 'f' mark appears.

Crude method but should be close enough for you to get fire, if that's the prob.

I have put points in wrong and had them grounded somehow.
The points part that moves should be isolated from the ground so a volt/ohm meter would be
nice to have.
As I recall, some points have tiny washers that isolate them from ground
and not always clear.

Not sure about the 70 tho.

Is there a condenser near the points? or is it hanging off the coil?
That's got a funny connection to the points too,
and another good thing to check.

Did you manage to find a manual?

surveywaters
07-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I realize this guy probably has moved on, but this thread helped me. I just went through this and wanted to through my 2 cent in. I had no spark and it was the timing, last thing I checked after gapping the points, testing the kill switch, replacing the plug, plug wire and cap, testing the coil, and checking all my grounds.

I learned that on the ATC 70, point gap is useless, the adjustment made should be solely relevant to timing. Take a test light or volt meter with a buzz setting (testing resistance is useless because of the condenser, it will never show open) unplug the black wire from the engine to the wiring harness and put one lead on the engine side of this; ground the other lead. You want (as staeted by others) to have the points open, causing the light or buzz to go off, at the precise time that the 'F' on your flywheel lines up on the case cover timing mark. Tighten the points and recheck timing after tightening. This will also help a weak spark.

Hope this helps someone down the road.