PDA

View Full Version : adding a battery to a 350x

blkstangman88
03-26-2011, 02:04 AM
so ive read dozens of threads on this but im still unsure. the 350x has a voltage regulator correct? so is it as easy as mounting a battery and wiring the battery to the regulator? then wiring the headlights to the battery?

im wanting to add HIDs to my trike but need a battery so any help on this subject is needed.

hillbilly 200x
03-26-2011, 07:06 AM
I would like to know about this as well, I dont want to be a "post whore" but would this work on my 84r?

3-wheelin
03-26-2011, 08:33 AM
There were no HID's back in the 80's.

Doc. Emmit Brown (Back to the Future) would be dissapointed that you aren't trying to just come up with a way to convert 1.21 jigawatts to the correct wattage for HID. You add a battery and you just might travel back to 1985. (assuming your bike has a flux Cap.)

Just kidding......

It sounds like a cool idea. I bet you would see a heck of a lot better. I personally like the look of the old yellow lights on these trikes. Eveyone has HID's now. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

jb2wheels
03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Is the 350x "regulator" or a "regulator/rectifier"? I don't know and don't know how to tell visually.
Regulator = keeps the AC power coming off the generator under xxvolts to keep from popping bulbs but it's still AC current.
Regulator/Rectifier limits the voltage the same way PLUS converts the AC to DC for battery charging and such.

blkstangman88
03-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Make me wonder if I can get a reg/rec from baja and replace my reg to wire up a batt.

Worst case I can mount a battery and run the HIDs right off it for a couple hours at a time but I really dont wanna do that. There hasta be a way but no threads are real clear on this subject.

Dirtcrasher
03-26-2011, 11:44 AM
It's a voltage regulator, the lights don't want spikes, just 12V AC.

Why can't you have your lighting coil rewound for more output?

I'd rather do that than mount a 400EX battery box under my fender and add the weight. I'd only want a battery if I needed a starter.....

It's your choice; But I imagine you would need a rectifier (and a diode) to charge the battery with DC voltage.

Light bulbs will run on either AC or DC voltage, there basically just heater filaments.

Just my thoughts.

4cylinders
03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
hey, not sure how to do it, but have a suggestion. compare 350x wiring diagram to 400ex wiring diagram.

NESC104
03-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I think you can get a wiring diagram from companies like BAJADESIGNS, TRAILTECH, etc... I wanted to do this a while ago and just haven't got around to it. I mainly wanted my lights to stay on if I stalled the bike. I have a small fear of getting rearended when riding on the road. I bought the rectifier and battery which came with some basic instructions, but Im not to good with electrical. Give their websites a try..

Xpress
03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't they have motorcycle HID's that don't necessarily need a battery? Get a higher output stator then run a regulator rectifier, to keep the voltage around 12.

Oldrodder
03-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Check out the wiring diagram that is in the GOKI 350X starter.

250Eddie
03-28-2011, 02:20 PM
question
How often do you ride at night and for how long?
if u dont ride alot at night, you might be able witth just putting the battery where u want and wiring the lights to the battery just remember to get motorcycle hid kits becuz there VERY low powered and normal hid kits will drain the battery quite fast.

blkstangman88
03-28-2011, 06:03 PM
250eddie, to anwser your question, i do ride at night alot. when im not at the dunes or local orv parks im riding up logging roads and exploring the local mountains.

Now i made a few calls today and found some definite anwsers. trailtech wasnt much help but i called Ricky stator and he basicly said "easy fix" lol im going to send them my stator and there going to "float the ground" (I dont know much about stators or id do it myself) for $35 and I purchased there "single phase rec/reg for $53, next all i need is a battery to hook it to and i got DC power for my HIDs.

Itll be awhile till i can get the extra cash but its a definite anwser to adding a battery to a 350x!! im pretty excited

Xpress
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Ricky Stator at it again, showing us just why they are still around :Bounce:D

Also, talk to KASEY, he did the floating ground on his 250r, and is running dual HID's, without a battery I think.

KASEY
03-28-2011, 07:31 PM
i am running 2 35watt hid's on my 250r. i bought a trailtech reg/retc floated the ground .. i wouldn't pay anyone to cut and solder a wire. it was very simple.. i am running a 5 ah battery in the airbox... and they are brighter than anything i have ridden with... i have dual flood patterns and you cannot outrun them at night no matter how fast you go!!! love them..

blkstangman88
03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey kacey id cut n solder the wire if I knew how. Got any pix since u did it?

blkstangman88
03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
so im kinda bored and looking around on how to float the ground. looking at trailtechs banshee "do it yourself" it looks damn simple but if i unsolder the wire and extend it out through the harness, which wire is it replacing? blk/r.....white or green?

i think ive been looking tofar into this lol i feel stupid atm

Dirtcrasher
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Post up the diagram.

The stock lamps have a wire for high beams, low beams and ground. Baja are 1 hot, 1 ground.

Most BAJA bulbs are just 2 wire, 1 hot, 1 ground. You can use EITHER of your hots to run them. In other words, low beams may run them or high beams may run them depending on what you tap into.

ALSO, if they are a 2 wire lamp, you can use BOTH the high and low beam wire, tied together and butt connected/soldered to the hot on the BAJA.

In that case either low or high beams will turn them on. In the other case only low or high will turn them on.

It's all the same 12V system (it's called wiring in parallel)...............

Just look at your female connector on the harness, it has 2 places for wires. It is running in parallel to both lamps.

blkstangman88
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
DC, i think your in a completly differant book lol the "do it yourself, floating the ground" that i was reading was this....http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/stators/AC-DC_Banshee_Stator_Conversion_Instructions.pdf

The part im lost on is where do i float the ground on mine....
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/blkstangman88/Mobile%20Uploads/5.jpg
The blk/r wire is a live wire to the cdi, along with the white to the regulator. the green is grounded.

how would i float the ground on my stator?? or is it alrdy??

Dirtcrasher
03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
IDK, I'd have to see a diagram. Looks like you have a lighting coil and and exciter coil for spark.

I can't really compare a Banshee to your 350X.

The Banshee looks like it grounded to the frame and they removed it and used the ground for the reg/rect...........

They must have to isolate the ground separately for the rectifier and it must be the charging portion of the circuit.

Have you looked into rewinding the lighting coils? You haven't said whether that battery would be a PITA or something you feel you have to have. I jump, my battery would have to be VERY secure and I don't want anymore weight.

blkstangman88
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
ya DC i feel i need the battery. securing it isnt a problem.

My mind is in over drive cuz i know nothing about this and im cramming lol i got an idea on how i need to get it all done just need to know what everything is and how it all works

KASEY
03-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey kacey id cut n solder the wire if I knew how. Got any pix since u did it?

250r and 350x are totally different ,, i don't have a 350x to look at you need a battery if your going to use HID'S they won't fire without a battery...

KASEY
03-29-2011, 12:04 AM
you can't use the stock harness,, you will have to tear it all apart and remove all the grounds and seperate it all from the ignition coils and the ignition system as that all has to stay in place,,,,

blkstangman88
03-29-2011, 12:21 AM
yes, i figured this much.

blkstangman88
03-29-2011, 12:54 AM
can the cdi run off either ac or dc?

KASEY
03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
hmmmmm .. since its seperate from the lighting i would assume ac only

Xhumeka
03-29-2011, 10:30 AM
I never realized until recently that there were aftermarket electric start kits available for the 350X - I'm VERY surprised they weren't more popular...

(I know the OP was interested in a battery for lights, not for electric start, but thought I would still mention it)

http://www.spinreel.com/atc-350x.jpg

blkstangman88
04-01-2011, 01:39 PM
so i called a couple local shops today, confirmed KASEY is right, the 350x cdi wont handle DC power. kinda a bummer for me but i started looking at the GOKI started kit, well just the wiring diagram. kinda curious where the GOKI blue and yellow wire run to, this diagram does say....
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/blkstangman88/350xwirediag.jpg

NESC104
04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Blkstangman, Any ideas why the CDI wont handle DC? That sucks and this ruins my plans too.

blkstangman88
04-01-2011, 04:15 PM
NESC104, i have no idea. ive spend the last week researching and looking for details on how the stator, cdi, reg and or rec work (since i knew zip about them before) and all ive really been told is i need a reg/rec to charge a batt. and i need to send my stator out to get a floating ground. as to why the cdi cant handle dc i have no clue.

the part that im lost on is how does the goki kit charge a battery? it just ties right into the stock harness and BOOM its good. what methods are used in those kits?

Xhumeka
04-01-2011, 04:34 PM
The GOKI site states that if you are running your headlights, then there will not be any significant charging performed on your battery - seems like the only way to charge it is to operate your 350X with the lights off.

blkstangman88
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
GOKI uses a diode inline of the positive wire on the stock harness that trickle charges that battery. which would make sence why the batterys not charged when the lights are on. well it is still being charged but theres no significant amount since the headlights draw more.

so i wonder what kind of diode id need to trickle charge a battery......

blkstangman88
04-01-2011, 06:32 PM
OMG i just got off the phone with Curtis sparks and there tech completly off loaded knowledge onto me.

He pointed out the stator has seperate outputs for the cdi and for the lights, which i saw but i was convinced for some reason the entire system was linked. anyways he clearified i just need a reg/rec to convert the light side to dc and it will charge a battery. that way the white/red power wire in the stock harness will be dc power and i can run HIDs right off the battery. id use the stock headlight wiring as a signal for a relay.

Can anyone explain floating the ground? im still unsure on this one. would you float the ground on the stator that way the lighting side also puts out dc and the cdi side is untouched and remains ac???

KASEY
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
i already told you that the ingition was seperate from the lighting..AND you need a rec/ regulator. AND and ... pretty much told you all that.... . READ THE POSTS already posted,, and maybe you will learn something