PDA

View Full Version : 250r kicker slipping

younganreckless
03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Once Ever 3 or 4 kicks when it was cold my 250rs kicker would slip and not engage but now thts it's warmer, it does it engages every time and never slips maybe ever 40 kicks it does it so rarely now I don't notice it... does anyone kno why why?

younganreckless
03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
It's an 85

KASEY
03-25-2011, 09:20 PM
THERE IS A SLEEVE BETWEEN THE CASE AND THE KICKER GEAR,, ITS GETTING WORN,,,, get one from an 86 slip it in and your problem will go away,,,

younganreckless
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
What will I have to do to do thtay and wats part called

Dirtcrasher
03-25-2011, 11:30 PM
trr What part don't you get? Kasey gave clear information. In 86 they changed from a sleeve and 2 washers to a single sleeve. If you simply looked on Bike Bandit or Service Honda you'd see the change. Although if you've slipped it enough, the gear teeth have suffered some rounding and will need changing at some point.

When people answer you, try to help yourself, JUST A LITTLE BIT. Your efforts will speak for themselves..............

And please, slow down and try to spell a little better.

younganreckless
03-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm typing with an iPod touch so spell check messes with typing and it was run en slow , and I Like noww, and was wondering way the part is called

tri again
03-26-2011, 02:49 PM
yeah, bike bandit and service honda
among others, have exploded diagrams for parts
so you can see what's in there.

Great reference points.

I would fix it before too long.
Like dc said, the gear bevels, bite capability and surfaces will suffer
and need some serious attention if left alone.

Mosh
03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
There needs to be a sticky for this issue. Next R engine I do, I will make a thread on these issues and how to fix them in detail if I have time.
The 85 kicker spacer was updated for a factory Tech bulletin back in the day. You got rid of the 3 piece spacer system the 85 used, and used the 86 single spacer style.
Also, there is a small spring that goes behind the ratchet gear and kicker idler gear. It is called a "pinion spring". This applies pressure to the small gear and should be replaced also. That spring forces the 2 gears together when you use the kicker. Do not confuse that with the large return spring. Those never fail.

Here is a similar thread that shows pics of the updated spacer..The search feature is a great tool!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?115460-Father-s-Day-un-interupted-Wrenching-time.-Uhh-Oh!-The-gift-that-keeps-on-giving!&highlight=kickstarter+slipping

xsrock
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I am glad you brought this up. I am having the same issue and was going to ask the same question. I am curious though, on bikebandit, the exploded diagrams for the 85-86 atc250r and the 87 trx250r all have the exact same part numbers and drawings. The only difference is that the 85 has two washers, one on either side of the sleeve. I will take your word that going with the 86 configuration will fix the problem, but I was expecting a different part number for the 86 sleeve.