PDA

View Full Version : Temp leaking ring fix

Liz Walden
03-24-2011, 08:10 PM
My rings are bad, or getting bad. It still drives and has lots of compression (still havent got an actual number)
The guy who was going to rebuild it for me just fell ill (The day after I pulled the motor, Grr!) and he cant do it for 2-3 months. So is there something I can add or thicker oil or something to slow the gas seeping into my oil? It doesnt seem to burn oil, just the oil gets gassy and it smokes white smoke like a freight train.

Any help? :S

(This is my only three wheeler, Id like to have it for small things around the house. It wont be abused until its rebuilt.)

Dirtcrasher
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Check your compression. Add a tablespoon of oil in the plug hole, check it again. If it goes up significantly, your rings are bad and there isn't a quick fix or patch.

If it remains roughly the same, your valve seals (maybe guides too) are letting oil in there.

Regardless, it should be burning oil...........

Is gas getting in the oil??

"This is my only wheeler" and what wheeler might that be??

Liz Walden
03-24-2011, 08:26 PM
83' 185s

Just a teaspoon of oil? Wont foul the plug?

Ironbnder
03-24-2011, 08:35 PM
This is just to seal the rings for the second compression check. What DC is telling you is that by sealing the rings and still having low compression then the rings are not your problem and you need a head job, not a ring job. After you are done with the test, spin the engine over with the plug out and it should clear the cylinder of most of the oil you added.

atc007
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
You seem to have at least 2 problems going on at the same time. Your carb needs gone thru,It is leaking gas into your engine,thinning out the oil. You need your engine rebuilt,which you already knew. 99% of the time,you need new piston and rings,usually a bore over to have her all new and tight. The easiest way to verify this,was with it still running in the frame,pull your breather hose off. If it's smoking down there,it's the rings. And it almost Always is!. IF,by some strange reason it is not smoking out the cases,it's head related. Should always do a head job while it's off anyhow. The only actual cost is the valve stem seals,which will usually come w your top end kit. Good luck!