PDA

View Full Version : 250ES signs the timing chain is worn?

200XMichigan
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
This seems like an odd question but it seems like people replace the timing chains on ATC/ATV's way more often than on street bikes. On all the street bikes I have done the upper end on and seen other do, the timing chain is hardly ever replaced. Partly because it involves cracking the cases and pulling the entire engine apart. But it seems with ATC people are always throwing a new timing chain on for a rebuild. Is it just because its way easier, so why not? Or does the cam chain get subject to more abuse on an ATC?

Just wondering. The 250ES is getting bumped ahead on the project list since its my work trike. If anyone has a new cam chain lying around I would like to see what the links measure on a new chain.

Dirtcrasher
03-23-2011, 08:50 PM
It gets noisy and usually the guides are both worn but no one likes to replace them....... They have to be changed with the chain, It's all 26 years old.

Street bikes are a whole different ball game turning 2,3 or 4 cylinders. Most likely a much stronger setup.

200XMichigan
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Guess I'll see once I get it opened up. Purs like a Honda should now, just starting to seep a little around the head gasket. Going to freshen everything up for spring and summer work, and fun.

tri again
03-26-2011, 04:44 AM
Some one has posted a non automatic chain tensioner on here.

Not sure of they're any good or downright dangerous.

But with new parts, you won't have to worry about it for another 25 years?

Or my other fav quote, " it will run forever AGAIN!"