PDA

View Full Version : 250r motor in the oven?

clvantress
03-21-2011, 11:09 PM
So.....i cut plates (with plasma table) to cover my intake and exhaust and put my motor in the blast tank, done with no problems. Now I plan on coating the motor with VHT engine paint. I have baked the rest of the parts already and wanna cure (bake) the motor......
Bake temp. says 200 deg. For 1 hour....now for the ? Will it hurt my motor??????

Casey

tri-Z ripper
03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
shouldn't as powder coating does the same process

clvantress
03-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks bro....will post pics. Later this week.

honda250sx
03-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Ummmmm is the motor assembled still? Your seals and orings will not likely fair to well if so.

WIkid500
03-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Ummmmm is the motor assembled still? Your seals and orings will not likely fair to well if so.

200 degrees F is no problem for seals and o-rings. Water temp's run at 195 Deg. F and go up past 210 degrees, that doesn't effect seals and O-rings.

Dirtcrasher
03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't care what temp they run at, I'm siding with Jeff. If it's all together I wouldn't do it. We don't do it with powder coating for even 20 minutes and I've melted silicone plugs at that temp.

Is it a radiant oven? Is it huge? your bottom end will be right above the element that reaches well above 200 degrees to keep the entire space inside the oven 200 degrees.

Just my thoughts...........

dksix
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM
I would worry more about the different expansion rates of the different steels and aluminum. I don't know what it will do but aluminum grows allot more than steel and the larger places in the cases that hold the bearings will grow more than the bearings. 200* isn't allot more heat than is in the engine when running but with not being able to see the effects after it's heated you won't know until you running it if it hurt anything. I doubt it will hurt anything but it would still worry me to do it.

Walkerallen
03-22-2011, 08:14 PM
i would have to agree with dirtcrasher. the engine my heat up to 210* but its not practical for it to stay at that constant temperature for that long with no cooling system/air

Ol Deuce
03-22-2011, 09:19 PM
You should be Ok!!!

clvantress
03-22-2011, 09:51 PM
It is an old house oven.........I think im gonna do thee 20 min session at 200 with ten min. Between each.

Casey

clvantress
03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
It is an old house oven.........I think im gonna do thee 20 min session at 200 with ten min. Between each.

Casey

vintagemotorsports
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I wouldnt recomend it , dirtcrashers right in a small oven like that you are going to get hot spots , my big powder coat oven is a convection oven so it moves air all around for an even heat , I would cure the paint with uv lights over an oven, the curing really isnt the big problem , you blasted the entire engine assembled ?? even with intake and exhaust plugged I bet you got all types of crap under the seals shift shaft, kick start etc what about the water pump vent hole, you wont beleive where that media goes what about into the stator area ?? i dont know wouldnt be my first choice

atc500x
03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I have paint my 250r case with the VHT paint,all separate parts in an old kitchen/oven,on all the parts on the lower grill the paint was starting to burn on some spot after 30 minutes.
I have try on other parts and 15 minutes was enought for a good job.

WIkid500
03-23-2011, 10:34 AM
The problem with house hold oven is that there isn't enough air space to keep everything at the same temp. Remember metal conducts heat a lot better than air. If your oven temp is at 200 degrees the heating element will be much greater than 200 deg. Therefore your aluminum cases will be conducting the heat from the heating element greater than the air around it, and will be much hotter than the 200 degree air.

clvantress
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
What do you think about, 20 on and 10 off. Or just open the door so that it does not cool to much or to fast.

honda250sx
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Whats the worst thing that could happen? You run your motor, blow it up, but at least it looks pretty.

Im not just talking out of my butt. Either is Steve, Either is Mike. Between the three of us, Mike especially, we've done a significant amount of powdercoating work and all have experience with such equipment.

tri-Z ripper
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
sorry i chimed in assuming it was torn down to just cases. no seals. after all they do cure powder and high temp paint in an oven so i meant the cases would be fine if fully apart hope my vague answer wasn't misleading.

younganreckless
03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I DID THE EXACT THING FOR MY 250r MOTOR IT WAS FINE FOR ME!!!!

clvantress
03-23-2011, 09:19 PM
As for sealing the motor off for blasting I put packing grease around the shafts and taped those off. I capped off the vent. The reason I didn't tear the motor down was because I am not sure of my skills to rebuild it. I work in a fabrication shop so metal work is no problem I have just never been inside of a bike motor......I think you guys have convinced me not to bake my motor. I am either going to use a uv light or wait and run it to cure the paint.

Thanks for all your help.

Casey

NINJA
03-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I DID THE EXACT THING FOR MY 250r MOTOR IT WAS FINE FOR ME!!!!

Typing in all caps doesn't make it right or a good suggestion!!!!

bcredneck
03-24-2011, 02:26 AM
go ahead bake your motor it will make a nice shiny center peice for your coffee table after it pisses out all its oil when you try to start it if it will turn over with melted crank seals in the berrings