PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a bearing and seal out of a clutch cover. YTM225DX Help!

3-wheelin
03-19-2011, 11:27 AM
I am trying to get the bearing and seal out of the clutch cover on my 225dx. It is the bearing for the primary clutch shaft. The local yamaha dealer wants $75 for labor to do it. I am committed to removing it since I already tried to remove it and ruined the seal behind the bearing.

I think I will try it first. I have a heat gun so I'm going to heat it up really hot. Does anyone have any recommendations on tools to get behind the bearing and pull it out while it is hot?

When putting it back in I plan on heating the case and freezing the bearing. Do you guys think I'm wasting my time? This bike has become a money pit. I wish I wasn't so addicted to 3 wheelers. Best feeling in the world though.

Thanks everyone!

Cave Rider
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I would try heating it first,and swiftly hit the case downwards against a WOODEN bench top..this has work for me in the past. Make sure the surface your using is soft as to NOT damage the case..good luck

leevarnado
03-19-2011, 12:21 PM
if you heat the case and try to stick a frozen bearing in there,outcome prob wont be good.just trying freezing the bearing,it should shrink enough.as for a bearing puller,you can get one from autozone,they prob have a loan a tool one available