PDA

View Full Version : big red 250es tire pressure

st222
03-16-2011, 10:06 PM
just wondering what every1 was runing for tire presure on stock 250es tires. it says 2.2 lb's, it just seems alittle low...

tri again
03-17-2011, 01:06 AM
just wondering what every1 was runing for tire presure on stock 250es tires. it says 2.2 lb's, it just seems alittle low...

Surprised at no responses.

Depends on tire type and load weight etc.

I load my trike, rock it side to side and look for sidewall flex.

Sometimes 3 psi is enough and sometimes 4.5psi is what I need to keep from rolling (sideways) but I use mine for utility work.

Flying around the dunes would be be a whole different set of circumstances.

st222
03-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Surprised at no responses.

Depends on tire type and load weight etc.

I load my trike, rock it side to side and look for sidewall flex.

Sometimes 3 psi is enough and sometimes 4.5psi is what I need to keep from rolling (sideways) but I use mine for utility work.

Flying around the dunes would be be a whole different set of circumstances.

i am actually surprised there's no responses!! i thought this was an easy enough ?, but i geuss its not!!!
but i realize the more weight the more air on something that low of a psi.. i wont be using it for utility work, i have the commander for that. also im talking normal trail riding at slow speeds, maybe 40-50 lbs on the back rack. bin a long time since i was around a big red & now i just got 1. when i had the utility quads i always had 5psi in them no matter what weight.just wanted to see what every1 was using, if they were actually using 2.2 or if some other psi was the magic number.. scott

wonderboy
03-17-2011, 09:06 AM
For what it's worth, I don't go by pressure. Mostly because I don't have a good gauge that'll read those low pressures. I like to put the rear end up on stands, and then just measure the circumference of the tires and match them. I've got a very narrow tape measure that works really well. I'll hook the tape on a knobby on the centerline of the tire and just rotate the tire around to measure it.

Taiser
03-17-2011, 09:08 AM
I keep them at 3 lbs, easy number to read on my gauge. Haven't noticed the ride being any harsher.

dougspcs
03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Since the 250es has a full suspension I like my tires more to the 4-5psi range. Don't need the tires to be the suspension quite as much as say the 200es I used to have that had no suspension.

oscarmayer
03-17-2011, 10:11 AM
i use my foot push test, depending on the type of riding i am doing will determine the pressure so i push both tires on the back to get them clsoe as long as they push int he same with the same force it's good. the harder the ground the softer i run to a point. i will let it push in about 1.5-2" on hard but that's it. if it's soft or more mud i let it push in mo more than 1"

st222
03-17-2011, 11:06 PM
very good reply's every1, i new you all had trailprotrailpro own system!! from what i read i;ll prolly go with the 3-4 psi & see how it rides.. just seems to stear hard & buckel with 2.5 in it!! but rides smooth & ive only rode it 4 a mile!!!!!!!!!!!

st222
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
wow, that sounds like little house on the prarie days!!lol ( half pint, get me that stick with the groves in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

250Eddie
03-17-2011, 11:16 PM
What do you do with your ES???.
On my dads ES we run 3 PSI on each tire for the mud maybe even lower, on my SX with the silverbacks im running 2psi i may just go down to 1PSI due to how freaking hard those tires are lol.

Woodsrider
03-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I like 3.5 PSI most of the time....but I find that they work better with 2.5 PSI in the snow.

st222
03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
What do you do with your ES???.
On my dads ES we run 3 PSI on each tire for the mud maybe even lower, on my SX with the silverbacks im running 2psi i may just go down to 1PSI due to how freaking hard those tires are lol.

i'll be riding mostly slow trail riding at my buddies house, woods,rocks,some nice trails, some not,just didnt no if the 2.2 lbs of presure rolled the tires to much. i havnt riden my es yet, so i wanted to see what you guys found good!!!!!!!!!!