PDA

View Full Version : Honda185 s rear end squeaking a little.

mooseinacanoe
03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I have no idea where to post this I tried under numerous place but didn't have proper permissions so I posted it here :). My 185 is having a bit of a problem the rear squeeks a little like a rusty door hinge almost. It sounds like it is coming from around the chain gaurd area. Thanks all and happy wheeling!

shortline10
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
The first place to check are the wheel hubs . Remove them gease them up and reinstall tight .

tri again
03-17-2011, 01:44 AM
I have no idea where to post this I tried under numerous place but didn't have proper permissions so I posted it here :). My 185 is having a bit of a problem the rear squeeks a little like a rusty door hinge almost. It sounds like it is coming from around the chain gaurd area. Thanks all and happy wheeling!

You can try 'trikesylvania' area.
It's the more q and a area if you can post there.

Let's see.
What could squeak back there?

Is this while you're riding? does it do it if you just roll it forward?

Have a brake that chirps until I touch the brakes.
Def check what shortline says too. The splines on the axle hubs go bad fast if they're not snug tight.

Unless it squeaks in the middle of the night you can check your airbox for mice.
(sorry) if I didn't say that, someone would have.

Ya know, your chain can squeak too. If it has the guard still on it, it may have never been
checked. you may want to oil the chain for fun.

Rear axle bearings are pretty hefty and surely something else would be beat to death if those were bad.

Can you rock the trike side to side and see if the rear axle clunks up and down a little?

oscarmayer
03-17-2011, 10:16 AM
walk around the bacvk of the trike and lightly kick the rear brake lever. now use jsut the front brakes to stop for this test, go ride around slowly to see if squeeking stops. it's usually sticking rear brake asembly. only way to fix is to compeltely dissamble, clean everything even lever that goes through housing and lub and re-assembly and repalce seals. figure about 3 hours and $45 in parts for the seals. if you do the brakes that's more. and if the cable is sticking you need a new cable and that's more $.