PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250R jetting question

2fiftyR
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
I just started trying to get this thing jetted correctly because I think its way too rich and to my suprise,the main jet is the stock #145. This trike has a fmf gold series fatty pipe and a power core silencer,uni filter in the stock airbox.I always thought if you put a different pipe on you would have to jet up,not down. The spark plug is mostly black but I havent been able to do a proper plug chop yet because it is a sloppy mess outside. I cant read any numbers on the slow jet.The carb is a Keihin flat slide that I think is off an 86.This thing runs like crap at part throttle and doesnt seem to pull like it should higher in the power band.I dont really beat on it yet because its not fully broken in yet from a top overhaul. Any thoughts? Any advice would be great and I thank you in advance

bannedbrraap
03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
you should be ok with the 145. its possible you have an electrical issue....does it idle fine?...if you think its the carb here is a good starting point. put the needle clip at the second position from the top. make sure your float level is set right, (should be perfectly level when you hold the carb upside down) 2 turns out on the air screw. that should be a good starting point. and put a new plug in it before you try it. if its still the same do a compression check.

bradshea
03-16-2011, 12:36 PM
you should also check for any air leaks and make sure your filter is clean. are you sure you are checking the right jet. im not trying to put you down or anything just when i first done it i had the same problem and realised i wasnt even looking at the pilot jet. but if your fine off idle to 1/4 throttle your pilot should be good