PDA

View Full Version : Big Red 250ES Plastic Repair

gewash76
03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
So I went trail riding two weeks ago and broke my fender almost all the way across. Since I didn't really see a fender on ebay that I wanted to buy, I decided to fix the one I broke just to see how it would turn out. I took a solder iron and melted the plastic together on the top. Then I took 3 zip ties to help support the weight on the top part of the fender. (I painted the zip ties red with some extra paint I had.) Then to help support the bottom, I cut a couple zip ties into about 1 inch pieces and glued them across the crack using some E6000 glue. It feels really strong. I accidentally bumped into the fender pretty hard and I didn't hear any cracking sounds. Here are some pictures of how it turned out. It needs a little sanding, but from a distance, you can hardly tell there was a crack. What do you all think?

MudBug
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
One of the better jobs I have seen! good work :D

gewash76
03-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks...I'm really happy with it.

ailll1
03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Should've done the same on my SX. I just used red zip ties and nothing else, but it holds good anyways. I've thought about melting them together but was scared to ruin them even more.

atc350xer
03-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Looks nice... I just used alot of black zip ties... looks like it has stitches!

Hair Bear Bunch
03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
I did similar with the soldering iron, but for a bit of extra strength I got a long strip of steel about 1" wide and 1/8" thick, and using the good fender as a guide I bent it to fit the curve that runs along the inner edge of the plastic and pop rivited it in place on the underside so all that shows is a row of rivets in the channel where the side panel fits. It's almost invisible, so I did the other side as well before it gives out too. That was 4 years ago and it's still holding good. If I can find a pic of the repair I'll post it.
Rob.