PDA

View Full Version : top end loud ticking

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
last time i rode my 185s it died, and when i tried to restart it, it was ticking, now when i start it sometimes it has a loud clicking up top and after a few seconds it quits, is it valve? or maybe oil pump going out? any help is appreciated

79fordblake
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I thought you said it didn't run at all anymore and had no compression?

Trikeboss
03-14-2011, 09:18 PM
The guy who had my 110 before me said it had no compression so he tossed some rings in it and it runs but now it also tics...I have got it to where its not too loud but still not for sure what it is....

Chazz of Blades
03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds like a valve adjustment time, if that doesn't help prepare your wallet.

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
well, i couldnt get it to start, let it set a few days, and it started, ticks when you try to start it and about a minute while its first started, then sometimes itll come back unless you give it gas then it goes away again, and seems to bog out when driving, and also revs while riding it

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 10:06 PM
i was thinking valves needed adjusted, and was thinking about rebuilding the whole engine soon, what all should i replace? crank&rod? valves and seals? piston and rings? doesn't really smoke, runs fairly good(before the tapping, but the thing is 28 years old and im going to be using it for hunting mostly/toy

79fordblake
03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
If its not knocking you can probably just renew the top end. I am in the process of saving up the money to get a new timing chain, tensioner, and guide for mine. Also going to buy everything needed to have the head rebuilt.

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
thats kinda what i was thinkin bout, maybe a little better cam, timing chain, new valves and such, maybe rings? clutch kit, and the coil wire part because mine is taped in one spot? anybody kno where the best price to get these parts new at a good price? i was also wanting to find 3 stock size rims for it new, maybe aluminum or just new steel ones, gunna get all the stuff some at a time and wait and do it all at once on a rainy weekend

79fordblake
03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Dennis-Kirk has most of that stuff. I think Im gonna get my new valves, valve guides, valve stem seals, and valve guide o-rings from Honda though. Thats gonna be about 120 bucks. Plus the labor to have it all put in and seats in head recut. Then still gotta get a top end kit and all the timing chain related stuff. I'm gonna take my time and just slowly collect all the parts then have it all done. I don't have to be in a big hurry, mine still runs great, just tired of timing chain tick and decided I might as well do this all at once.

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 10:53 PM
same, here, was running perfect, i was suprised considering it had been sitting 8+ years, ebay 200x carb, plug and oil change and it ran like a top, then the tapping started

jordan_muirhead
03-14-2011, 10:55 PM
but it stops after it runs a few seconds