PDA

View Full Version : Help a blind man see! ATC 250es Engine & Triple Tree swap

KillerBox
03-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I have had a working 1985 ATC 250es for a few years with a weak engine.

This weekend I bought another 1985 ATC 250es for parts (has a broken axle or locked up differential). The parts 250es has a stronger sounding engine (with what I think is a Cobra exhaust) and the shocks on the triple tree are stiffer.

I would like to swap the Engines and the Triple Tree. Anyone have any guidance or tips in helping a non-mechanic do this job?

Also if anyone needs any parts, let me know and I will see if it has it or not.

Thanks,

KillerBox

mtsnieg
03-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Engine swap shouldn't be too difficult. Disconnect exhaust, carb, wiring, and all motor mounts and bolts. Take the clamps off the output shaft to drive shaft and remove engine from the left side. With the clamps off the boot the driveshaft will slip out of the output shaft on the engine.

TheRealFatShady
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Few tips from taking out mine:

1. Penetrating oil - Use it every few hours, at least two or 3 days in advance. Seems like a waste, but it's gotten me to get out most stubborn bolts.

2. Turn the nut, not the bolt, when loosening on the engine mounting bolts. Always seemed easier to try it this way.

3. HEAT. MAPP gas or even propane will help. Propane torches are like $15 at Walmart, it's not as hot as Mapp or Oxyacetylene, but it will help a LOT!!

4. Heat those exhaust studs the most. They likely WILL snap otherwise. Expect to have to pay $40-$100 for replacements to be put in and the old ones drilled out; depends on the machine shop. Much easier to use a $3 can of propane on them first.

5. Do NOT undo the 3 bolts on the output shaft of the engine that connects to the driveshaft. Or where that bolts up to the case. You only need to undo the rubber boot, then slide the engine forward.

I forget which way the engine has to come out, but to be honest, it's very tight either way.

Good luck!!!

atc350xer
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Sometimes when you can't slide the drive shaft back far enough, it's easier to remove the rear end first, then slide the drive shaft back a bit. I had to swap rear ends anyway, so it worked out well for me.

TheRealFatShady
03-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually I think I did as well, as I was taking mine down to a bare frame. I needed what was essentially a 14mm??? allen wrench....found it at auto zone in a set for like $10

RubberSalt
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
When putting everything back together, Use thread locker and torque everything to spec. The thread wont hold as good as rust, but the parts wont rust and stay together:-p. Do not over tighten as it can warp parts or strip other parts(Especially aluminum).

KillerBox
03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I got the engine out of my parts 250es tonight. I don't think that I messed anything up. The only problem I had was taking the reverse cable off of the engine. I bent the bracket that connects to the engine. I am hoping to bend it back when I get the engine in the other 250es.

atc350xer
03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
I got the engine out of my parts 250es tonight. I don't think that I messed anything up. The only problem I had was taking the reverse cable off of the engine. I bent the bracket that connects to the engine. I am hoping to bend it back when I get the engine in the other 250es.

They ALWAYS bend... one other thing to watch for... when you re-install, make sure that plug for the reverse is nice and tight, or it won't run!

oldtoys72
03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
if your parts bike has a good set of handlebars or footpegs i would buy them from you. Also if you have a front rack, doesnt matter the condition and I know its a long shot but if you have the side covers i would be interested in those as well!

KillerBox
03-15-2011, 08:20 AM
if your parts bike has a good set of handlebars or footpegs i would buy them from you. Also if you have a front rack, doesnt matter the condition and I know its a long shot but if you have the side covers i would be interested in those as well!

When I get home tonight, I will take a picture of the parts and send it to you.

KillerBox
03-15-2011, 08:21 AM
make sure that plug for the reverse is nice and tight, or it won't run!

What plug for the reverse are you talking about?

oldtoys72
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
anything on the parts for sale maybe?

KillerBox
04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
anything on the parts for sale maybe?

I got the new engine in the old 250 ES but, I have not got it running yet. I am going to try to change out the reverse electrical plug tonight. I will take a look as soon as I can and see what parts I have and take a picture for you.

oldtoys72
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Motor won't fire? Or nothing happening at all? All I really need is handlebars and side covers if you have those that would be awesome! I also have tons of 250es parts if you need something.

atc350xer
04-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Sorry, missed your question. Looks like you know about it now... many machines were sold cheap for this 10 second fix!

Thorpe
04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

They are talking about the electrical plug, above the foot brake, one for reverse light, other is the neutral safety switch... (wire plug has been known to pop off easily)