PDA

View Full Version : Couple issues with the 350x

Big Mike
03-12-2011, 04:03 PM
I have an 86 350x with an 85 swinger and rear brakes. The problem I am having is that I went out riding last weekend and more than halfway through the ride my rear brakes stopped working. So today I finally got around to looking at the rear brakes and found that the pads were about about half worn out but the top 3/16" of the braking material was not worn at all and that they were touching before the pads touched the rotor hence my rear brakes not working. I tried to figure out some way to get the whole pad to touch the rotor but cannot figure it out. Any insight into this problem would be great. Thanks.

My next problem that arose at ICEFEST but still continues. It will not idle. I have to stay on the throttle to keep it running. Make is kind of tough when going down a steep hill, trying to get the thing out of the mud after getting stuck, etc, etc. Any insight into this problem would be great too.

tri-Z ripper
03-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Gotta clean the carb for that my friend the pilot jet most likely has some lovely corn gas gum in it! i run a splash of marvel mystery oil in all my 4 stroke gas, keeps that damn corn gas from gunking, also look into startron gas activator. as for the rear brakes, send a pic of which set up is on there. YOU may have to rebuild the caliper as i did on my previous 86 350X

Big Mike
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Shane, thanks for the insight on the gas and the carb gunk. The rear brakes are actually an 85 setup, but the caliper is also new, and is for an 86. The problem with them is that pad is not sitting completely on the rotor. The top 3/16th of the braking material on the pad is above the rotor. I am not sure why and how to fix it.

tri-Z ripper
03-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Look at bike bandit the mount for the 85 is different from 86 so that also might be the problem, i remember the 86 had a round mount that went around the bearing carrier but the 85 bolts on the side right? i could be wrong.
also if you look a johns pics or mine i have the same pic coming up that hill! is that Bearbrook?

Big Mike
03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
That is Bearbrook Shane. It was my first "real" ride with the X.

Big Mike
03-12-2011, 05:48 PM
I actually have all the correct 85 brackets and mounts as well, just a caliper I bought for an 86.

bugler30
03-12-2011, 05:51 PM
If nothing else I have a caliper for an 85 350x that works well, only piece missing is the odd bolt that holds it to the bracket. Has fairly new pads on it, has e-brake block off, works well. PM me if interested.

oldtime3wheeler
03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Can you just grind the 3/16" the brake pad that is hitting. That way you will have full contact again.

Dirtcrasher
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Was that an EBAY knock off caliper?? Cmon by, I'm sure I can figure it out...........

And you carb should be rebuilt, an inline filter installed and the petcock removed and filters cleaned in there as well.

Big Mike
03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Well what I found today was that the bike would idle if I put the tank selector on reserve. So I think my screen must be getting clogged after a certain amount of time of fuel sloshing around in the tank. So I am going to drain all the gas out of the tank this week, and wash it out really good and clean the petcock screens as well.

Big Mike
03-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes DC, it is as you say a "knockoff" caliper. I am not sure it is the caliper but the pads, however I am not sure now. Because today, after grinding the lip off the pads yesterday my rear brakes still dont work. So not sure what the hell is up with that.

This caliper is actually a rebuilt/remanufactured Honda unit, because it has the HA on the body of the caliper.

cattle-dog
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
mike i have a factory rear caliber in good shape worse case have dc rebuild it but i think its fine let me know Don

Big Mike
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
So I pulled the petcock today to try and clean it out, but for some reason the filters stayed in the output on the tank and I cannot get them out, any ideas guys? Thanks.

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Push them through, flip the tank over and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE!!!!!!!!!!