PDA

View Full Version : alright im thinking.....

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 04:45 AM
about trading my 85 250r for a cr250......should i do it? im 17 no job and no one is really hiring right now and i can already tell ima b spending alot of money on my atc.....i dont really wanna do it but im mostly thinking about, availability of parts, price of parts, how hard to find the parts, i love mt atc but damn........parts are expensive and getting harder and harder to find every day

RubberSalt
03-12-2011, 05:02 AM
"i love mt atc"

People sell there atc's and always regret it later in life. The 250r is getting more expensive everyday, the cr250 is not. Keep a hold on the 250r for now, odds are, you wont come across another anytime soon for a good price.

Parts... well look over the forums, plenty of parts interchange with other models.

STLTrike
03-12-2011, 05:06 AM
Trikes are a lot of fun. Not sure how much riding you have done on your 250R.. But you may want to consider possible trading for a good running 200x maybe.. Just check the kick starter. At least you will have a good ride, and there are plenty of parts.

The 200x with some hole shots on it is a pretty fun reliable ride.

Do what you can though to get something fun and reliable to ride though!

bcredneck
03-12-2011, 05:11 AM
what year cr 250 unless its brand new i cant see it being worth it and the value of the atc is going up and the bike will go down
so you would screw your self unless your getting cash with it

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 05:20 AM
the bike would b a 99 to 02......ive done alot of riding on my 250r since ive owned it enough so im used to it and know what it can do...i want to stick with a 2 stroke but im thinking a cr250 just because stuff will b cheeper for it

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
idk why but there are alot of 250r's poppin up on craigs list around where i live......85's and 86's

ironchop
03-12-2011, 05:26 AM
stop thinking so much

1)you`ll blow just as much money on a dirtbike as a trike

2) no job+ dirtbike = two lame things

3) NO JOB + TRIKE = ONLY ONE LAME THING

4) you are 17? and you have a liquid 250R? already in your young life?....wah!...appreciate how cool that is and stop trippin...there are by FAR more jobs than there are ATC250R`s...count yourself more than lucky

lesson over, young man

make the right choice

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 05:29 AM
thats true......any one got any suggestions on what year cr250 is real good? i might just do some dairy work or something to just buy one....i want an extra bike so if one messes up and 1 just for messing around mostly

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 05:30 AM
get a job and buy this one?

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2239750672.html

STLTrike
03-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Lots of bikes show up around spring time in my area. People are looking for new bikes for the season, and people are trying to sell to those people.

I have a 250r and a 200x. Love them both. Have fun with both of them. Two stroke is sorta newer to me. No low end power at all though. The 200x has good low end power. Easy for wheelies and creeping through tight rocky trails. 250r is a blast in different way.

If you want to stair at your bike for a few years and watch it go up in value great have fun. Do what you want to do. But I'm more about having something to ride. Your 17 ride and have fun!

The 250r's are not going to go up in value that much. There are a tone of them out there. They still go from 1200 to 2000 in decent shape. 2000 to 3000 in excellent shape. And thats about it. Even if you doubled your money in say 5 years is that worth it to you? They have been going for that much for at least the last 3 to 5 years..

It's not an 87 Tecate 3.

If you don't want to work on it. Sell it to some one that will have the money to restore it, and buy your self something that you can ride.

cr480r
03-12-2011, 05:46 AM
CR250's are dime a dozen. A guy with a job and very few bills could have one quickly... If you are willing to give up the trike go ahead, but if you are already having doubts well then... its obvious... sure restoration parts are cheaper for a CR, but once completed the wear parts will be the same for both... piston, tires, clutch, chain, grips, brake pads,etc... i went thru this myself.. had a trike, bought a dirtbike and a quad.. didnt want the trike anymore and started to part it.. then when i didnt have it I realized how much fun it really was.. I love dirtbikes, and quads are fun too sometimes, But a trike is always a fun time.. everytime..

pantera1975
03-12-2011, 08:59 AM
I got a 86 250R when I was 15 got my licence and sold it missed it ever since (no lie) Now last spring I got 2 more. 20 years later. You will regret it.

RacerRichie
03-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Now that is just not a good trade or idea. Get some rest you must be tired...:rolleyes:

HuffieVA
03-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Keep the trike, you can find a bike later, and this is coming from someone who prefers bikes over trikes for riding, don't get me wrong guys Trikes will always have a place in my heart and garage, and will get ridden on a regular basis....

With that being said, if you want to stick with a smoker and think you may wish to buy a new one some day, DO NOT buy a Honda, as Honda has gone out of their way to ensure the demise of the two stroke, they have gone as far as announcing that they will never produce another two stroke, they have fallen to the tree hugger army... I love the outdoors and respect the environment more than most tree huggers but I'm also smart enough to realize that the minute bit of smoke emitted from a two stroke doesn't hold candle to the massive amounts of black oil smoke that will be coming from the worn out high tech four strokes that many will not be able to afford to rebuild...

So keep your 250r and when you have the funds, buy something from a company that still makes smokers (i.e. almost everybody but Honda)

ratvespa
03-12-2011, 11:30 AM
stop thinking so much

1)you`ll blow just as much money on a dirtbike as a trike

2) no job+ dirtbike = two lame things

3) NO JOB + TRIKE = ONLY ONE LAME THING

4) you are 17? and you have a liquid 250R? already in your young life?....wah!...appreciate how cool that is and stop trippin...there are by FAR more jobs than there are ATC250R`s...count yourself more than lucky

lesson over, young man

make the right choice

back when we rode trikes they were 90 cc and the dunes were UPHILLS BOTH WAYS.
and we liked it that way.

also, I see older 90's dirt bikes for under 1K all day long, I don't see watercooled 250r's going for 1K. I love my atc's, but I love my dirtbikes too, there is a place for everything, and I could not imagine not having either.

ratvespa
03-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Keep the trike, you can find a bike later, and this is coming from someone who prefers bikes over trikes for riding, don't get me wrong guys Trikes will always have a place in my heart and garage, and will get ridden on a regular basis....

With that being said, if you want to stick with a smoker and think you may wish to buy a new one some day, DO NOT buy a Honda, as Honda has gone out of their way to ensure the demise of the two stroke, they have gone as far as announcing that they will never produce another two stroke, they have fallen to the tree hugger army... I love the outdoors and respect the environment more than most tree huggers but I'm also smart enough to realize that the minute bit of smoke emitted from a two stroke doesn't hold candle to the massive amounts of black oil smoke that will be coming from the worn out high tech four strokes that many will not be able to afford to rebuild...

So keep your 250r and when you have the funds, buy something from a company that still makes smokers (i.e. almost everybody but Honda)

not to get too far off topic, but I am not sure I understand your logic. Just become a company has chosen to move FORWARD with technology you don't support them? You should be mad at yamaha for not make'n any more piston port 2 strokes any more! Don't get me wrong, I love 2 strokes, but they are inferior to 4 strokes, plain and simple. But you made it pretty clear that you do not know much about engines, black smoke from a worn out 4 stroke? um, you would see white oil smoke. black smoke is too rich, so some one is running it too rich, you can do EXACTLY the same thing on a 2 stroke, but the black smoke will be hidden by the greater amount of oil it will be burning from being rich (assuming premix). I have worked on a ton of the high strung 4 strokes found in many quads and dirtbikes, trust me, they are just like a 2 stroke, they let you know when it's time for a rebuild. Back to the honda thing, look at it from the small picture, take the honda ruckus/metro scooters, they use a pretty damn advanced watercooled 4 stroke 50cc motor in those scooter, compare that to most companies 2 stroke 50cc's scooter, the honda will run almost 5 times longer than the 2 stroke, with less maintained, be smoother, more quiet, and get better fuel economy.

HuffieVA
03-12-2011, 12:16 PM
not to get too far off topic, but I am not sure I understand your logic. Just become a company has chosen to move FORWARD with technology you don't support them?...

I dont want to get too off topic either but...

CC per CC a four stroke can not produce the power of a two stroke (hence the displacement advantage at the pro level)

Are the modern four strokes more advanced than they were a decade ago? Of course they are but until Honda agrees equal displacement in the pro classes (i.e. 250 vs 250 etc) and the four strokes still win, I'll call them more advanced than a smoker until then its only twice(or nearly twice for the 450's) the displacement and 50% higher rpm's that make the four strokes competitive

When it costs $200 - 300 for a complete new top end on a smoker and $2000 - $3000 for a complete new top end on a "Modern" four stroke you could rebuild it ten times for the same price and still have twice the bike (according to the displacement rules)

I didn't say anything about the tired engines not letting you know they need a rebuild (any engine will do that), but the shear costs of rebuilding a modern four stroke is clearly displayed on craigslist where fairly new (a few years old) strokers are selling for less than ten year old smokers. The modern four strokes are great, unfortunately the heat of motocross (the average father/son and grass roots teams) cannot afford to be competitive because of the costs involved in maintaining them. Sorry if that's a hard pill to swallow but its basic economics and its detrimental to the sport

dream3wheeler
03-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Im 17 as well and im looking for a 250r. If i were you i'd keep that thing and concider yourself lucky. I find that if i want something and i dont have a job, i find someone who needs work done on their house or around their house to make some quick cash; the cash adds up over time. keep the trike, then find someone who needs work done and buy yourself a bike.

hang&rattle
03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Ya Bud, listen to Huff. A dirtbike would be fun, and I agree, 2-strokes are the best, but Honda has cut it's own throat. They have been backstabbing the public and cycle world for too long now, but Honda is the name on one of the greatest H2O cooled atv's ever produced and will there will never be anything made by Honda to rival the 250R again. So it's a no brainer, and you ain't some dumb kid partner or you wouldn't own your awesome trike in the 1st place. But as for dirtbike, any other brand will put you in a better parts available bracket than your anti-(true)cycle Honda. Good young adult for consulting and asking, bud (I didn't say 'kid', you're sharp enough to know the right answer).- Robby.

NOS_350X
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I say get a bike. You can ride a bike a lot more places around here, you have the MX track right there in tulare. You should be able to find a nice cr250 that will be good to ride for years to come. ATC's are old. Your going to have to dump money into them if you ride them. The Cr you had a link to i would stay away from. Riding a bike in the sand is extremely hard on dirt bikes. YOU DON'T WANT A DIRTBIKE THAT HAS BEEN RIDDEN IN THE SAND. Since that comes with a paddle you know it was. another thing, see all the stickers, and new plastic, usually when the bikes are "metal mulisha-ed" out they haven't been taken care of. I work on a ton of bikes owned by freestyle guys, they are always clapped out because they don't know what the word maintenance is.

Sick200x
03-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Bad trade for sure....No Deal!....Plenty of CR250's to be had, save some money and buy one down the road, but definately keep the trike, you'll regret it if you don't. I'm still kicking myself over my "christmas special" 110 i got rid of back in '89, probably why i've got such a hard time getting rid of any of my "toys" now. As for parts availability, usually not too hard to find for the 250r, may need to watch ebay for deals at times. Also the r doesn't have the powervalve to worry about....
If you do decide to go with the bike, that bakersfield craigslist seems high to me...for $1500 I've seen '03 CR's around here.

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 04:32 PM
does any one have the bols for the hubs? i have some one in my family that will press them for free but i called a local dirtbike shop and they said for the bolts and them to be pressed into the hubs it will cost $450 and thats outrageous to me.......i want to start jumping and gettin a lil crazier on my trike (since i decided to keep it and just buy another dirtbike when i get the cash) bt i have the wheel spacers and dont feel too safe gettin above 2 feet on it

Sick200x
03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
$450 sounds awful high! How hard is it to work a press? just checked bikebandit.com and they've got the bolts for the hubs @ $6.73ea.
Glad to hear you decided to keep it...

jellybelly559
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
yea i told the guy i was like thats bullshit u guys charge that much

brd812
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
450 is bs. You can buy whole hubs on ebay for 20 bucks plus shipping I'm not a Honda guy, but I guessing there are some fourtraxs out there that use the same hub. I put Banshee hubs on 225 dx that were splined the same. Do your research save some coin and enjoy your R.