PDA

View Full Version : Tri zinger 60 carb problems

CHAD-98
10-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey,
I have a 1985 yamaha tri zinger 60, that won't run at all. It starts, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it bogs down and stalls.

About 2 weeks ago my son was riding it. (it was running great) He shut it off, and when we restarted it wouldn't go fast. (half speed) He ran it through a couple puddles, but nothing unordinary.

So far I cleaned the carb, airbox, flushed tank, replaced fuel, checked compression (160), cleaned all wires. I can't figure this thing out...HELP.

I want to rebuild the carb, but I can't find a rebuild kit. Anybody know where I can find one? What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?

Any help would be great.
Dave

J.D.
10-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Have you considered changing the spark plug? My Z had a similar problem, changed the spark plug, ran good as new. It was the brand new spark plug that F'd up too, went back to old and ran great.

CHAD-98
10-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Yes, I changed the plug the day it happened. And again yesterday. It fouls plugs about once a month, so that was the first thing I checked.

I am thinking carb. Maybe not enough gas? Jetting? I'm not a carb genius, so I don't know where to start.

Dave

Xowner
10-11-2003, 09:44 PM
maybe air filter pulged up?

TimSr
10-12-2003, 12:09 AM
The Zingers are infamous for clogged exhaust. For test puroses, take the whole exhaust off, start it up, see what happens. If it suddenly runs right with no exhaust, pull teh baffle and clean what you can get to. If its still a problem, repost, and Ill put up some pics showing where/how to drill through the problem area. Itll be a llittle louder, not that much, but youll see power you never thought it could deliver.

Xowner
10-12-2003, 01:21 AM
hmm i wonder why mine didnt have a baffle ! :rolleyes: :D

CHAD-98
10-12-2003, 04:21 PM
The Zingers are infamous for clogged exhaust. For test puroses, take the whole exhaust off, start it up, see what happens. If it suddenly runs right with no exhaust, pull teh baffle and clean what you can get to. If its still a problem, repost, and Ill put up some pics showing where/how to drill through the problem area. Itll be a llittle louder, not that much, but youll see power you never thought it could deliver.

Thats it!!! You hit the nail on the head.
I pulled the exhaust, it started right up, and ran like a bat outta hell...

I will clean it tonight (after steeler game) But I want to drill it so it won't happen again. Could you post those pics, or send them to me. Davjod25@aol.com

Sad to say, this thing had me stumped for 3 weeks. Thanks for all the help.

Dave

CHAD-98
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
That silencer was a pain in the a@#. I had to cut it at the bend to clean it out. And then weld it back together. Now it runs like a powerhouse. But I have a new problem.

It starts right up. But when I open it up it bogs then stalls. If I put around it runs fine. As soon as I gun it...dies out. If I run it with the choke half open, it runs fine. (but wont idle) Whats wrong? Not enough air flow? Is running like this going to hurt anything?

Ain't this the way it works...Fix one thing, and another breaks...

Thanks,
Dave

zenasskickin
10-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Sound like the carb needs cleaning/rebuilding. Ontwo stokes the Choke is actually a mini or starting carb that has its own airflow and thats probably why you get increased performance with the 1/2 choke.

this is a good atrticle on carbs

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/carbtech/

while not exactly bad running the bike choke will lead to fouling plugs carbon build up.

david

TimSr
10-14-2003, 05:46 PM
I finally got some pics to show the problem area of the zinger exhaust. The 2nd picture shows where they have a divider plate inside the pipe expansion chamber dividing it in half. This plate is perforated, and I guess is supposed to act like a silencer. This perforated plate is what gets clogged up, and is almost impossible to clean out.

The 1st picture shows where the section that holds the baffle hooks in. You disconnect it at the arrow in photo, stick your drill bit in the hole, and drill straight through the divider plate. You want the hole to be as large as the one you are accessing it through. When you get finshed, put it back together, leaving the baffle out, but it looks better if you do install the baffle end cap. If you do this, youll never have an exhaust problem again, and it will deliver some pretty amazing power.

CHAD-98
10-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Well, I cleaned the carb. (again) And it is running like its supposed to. Awesome.

I drilled the exhaust out today. Mad trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro power, but it is loud. Might make the neighbors mad. lol. But I like it.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

wreck-sports
10-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Now that it runs correctly. DG still makes a pipe. Wow that really wakes it up.

CHAD-98
10-17-2003, 01:04 PM
I didn't know they make a pipe for that. Thanks for the update, i'll have to check that out.

Dave

wreck-sports
10-17-2003, 02:49 PM
No Problem----Boysen makes reeds for them also

sean159
12-16-2007, 02:44 PM

could u send me them pics because my zunger is having the same problems as his but i think i need a hole new carb do u no where i can get one thanks sean sean_hering@yahoo.com

Tri-Z Pilot
12-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Try posting in the classifieds section or searching ebay.