PDA

View Full Version : ATC 250r no radiator fluid...?

k00leo
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
One of the 1985 atc 250r s that i bought had little or possibly no radiator fluid in it :eek: not good.

When i got it home, i put some 50/50 radiator fluid in it, started it with the radiator cap off (like the manual says), let it warm up for a good five minuets, put the cap back on and then let the bike cool down. Since i have ridden the bike for about a month. I haven't ridden it very hard though, maybe 30 min at a time.

The guy i bought it from had it sitting in his shed for a few years. he lives in a residential area and hasn't ridden it for a while. So I'm hoping that it wasn't ran too long with little or no fluid.

Is there anything i should be worried about at this point? It seems to be running fine. Am i missing anything that i should be doing?

I put fluid directly in the radiator and in the overflow bottle.

200XMichigan
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Might be he drained it to put it away. You would know if it had been run for a while with no anti-freeze since it would not work good anymore. Might want to inspect or rebuild the water pump to be on the safe side.

3wheelrider
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Well- has the coolant level dropped since? -you didnt mention. Check the transm. oil for any milky lookin fluid just in case. Also check the tiny weep hole on the underside of the pump for leaking.

k00leo
03-11-2011, 10:40 AM
ive checked the fluid once since, it seemed like it was fine. I plan on checking it again this weekend.

there was not any abnormal coloration in the trans fluid, so it seems the seals are good.

No leaking on the bike anywhere.

Taiser
03-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about it then, just keep an eye on it for a bit and enjoy riding it!