PDA

View Full Version : alright so....wtf?!?!?! 85 250r

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 01:42 AM
so i know im gonna have to replace my gaskets because its leaking tranny fluid on the top of the right crankcase so im gonna just go through and replace all tha gaskets which hopefully solves my next issue.....its pushing air out on the right crank case side under the expansion chamber near where the coolant hose hooke up at the crank case......why could it be pushing air out? and my motor is ticking pretty loud and im kinda scared of that im scared its gonne blow real soon so should i let it blow and rebuild it or just rebuild it? im really low on money so idk how ill afford a rebuild :mad:

STLTrike
03-10-2011, 03:38 AM
Typicaly if the right side crankcase seal is broken you will suck a lot of air in and you will see a lot of smoke out your tail pipe...

Also I would highly recomend not riding your R until you blow up the engine. It will cost you a lot more then just rebuilding it. But if you want to pay the extra tax then go for it!

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 03:45 AM
ok....its not smoking alot out of my tailpipe.....almost none haha im mixing 32:1 on super m so thats why theres not alot of smoke....but its blowing air out on the right crank case side.....if the cylinder base gasket was blown would it push out air? it seems like its in spurts really similar to the rpm change so im thinking that may be a possibility.....a new gasket set should fix that but would new gaskets fix my tranny fluid leak? i changed the fluid last week i believe and only rode it once since then so its bugging me that its leaking.....it seems to be coming from the right crank case towards the top though......if the gasket was too thin or messing up would it do that? or if it just wasnt a good seal?

STLTrike
03-10-2011, 03:57 AM
I would try and replcae the crankcase seals like you said. Where is it tranny fluid leaking from?

Also do you hear a rattle or a tick? I know some of the R's do develop a tick, and its not that big of a deal. You can find info in here on that. Was just reading about it last night actually. But a rattle noise can be really bad. And you don't want to blow up your engine because you may end up replacing the entire top end, and taking out some of the bottom end with it.

Not a pro mechanic, just going by experience.

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 04:11 AM
no its more of a really loud tick.....im pretty sure the tranny fluid is leaking out next to the coolant hose.....not exactly sure ill take pictures tomorrow and post them up.....probabally run it for about a minute or so so you guys can hear the tick

RubberSalt
03-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Sounds like you got a blow base gasket and a leaky clutch cover gasket.

If it was me, heres what i would do:
Pull the jug off and take a good look at the bore, if it's true and the piston doesn't have excessive wear, I'd hone and keep running that jug and piston.
Replace the base gasket, head gaskets, reed gaskets, exhaust gasket. Use honda bond or permatex grey on all but the exhaust and head gasket.
After honda bond dries, perform a leak down, make sure the top end is sealed up fine. Repair any leaks found, even if tiny.
If leaks and not found, check both crank seals, might as well being you will need to pul clutch cover off. Replace any leak seals. If no seals leak, put some coolant in the system and watch for bubbles.
Make sure the Breathers/hoses on the tranny case are not plugged up. They can build pressure and blow a gasket.
Replace the clutch cover gasket and use honda bond/permatex grey.

Wait 1 day atleast before adding fluids or doing leak down or kicking it over. Dont want to blow out some not setup sealant.

When it's all said and done, you should be good to go.

You can use paper bag gaskets for the base, reeds, and clutch cover. You'll more than likely need a new exhaust and head gasket.

If you need seals, here are some cometic, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cometic-Crank-Seals-Kit-Honda-ATC-250R-85-86-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf173fe7fQQitemZ33046 8425343QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
After buying a Head gasket and exhaust gasket, you coulda bought a top end gasket set.. so here it is, includes base and reed gaskets. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-ATC-250R-Top-End-Head-Gasket-Kit-1986-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3365c51d2fQQitemZ22075 0748975QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm sure the bore is fine, it runs. SOOO.. total cost at most $40.

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
that helps alot.....and do all R's tick? mine is making a really loud tick sound....i have a other post and some one posted a video of theirs ticking and mine makes about the same noise

RubberSalt
03-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I don't own one(unfortunatly), but from my reading is that alot of 'em do tick, some more than others. I forgot to say, you should make sure the rod turns off freely when the jug is off and that there is no up and down play in the rod, side to side is ok. Might as well check it while it's apart :)

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
yea when i go through and replace the gaskets ima see if it might need a new piston and im probabally gonna get my cylinder honed? where they put that 45 degree cross hatch and clean it up......

jellybelly559
03-10-2011, 09:20 PM
alright so i had a guy come look at it (hes been working on 2 stroke dirtbikes longer than ive been alive....alot longer) and he just looked at it and said it was the base gasket and the oil wasnt tranny fluid but oil from my motor (2stroke mix) and it got pushed out and the gas evaporated and the oil just stayed there......hes gonna fix it for me for pretty cheep....he has the gaskets so itll probabally b $30 to $40 but i dont care to be honest cause i would rather pay the extra money and be riding sooner rather than wait on ebay....im impatient.....most of us are haha

RubberSalt
03-11-2011, 04:05 AM
As long as it's fixed right :-p

I wish i had parts for mine around here, but next to no one carries em.
The parts they do carry are the parts on mine that dont break! lol

jellybelly559
03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
haha i dont know how long or how old the parts are hahahaha i know the guy used to be my grandpas mechanic and they had a little motorcycle mechanic business way back in the day.....i think in the 80's so theyre probabally gaskets he had left over or sitting idk tho because he does alot of 250r work and every thing to banshees.......so they might be newer im not sure if he orders a bunch of new ones or if he has new old ones

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
On 2 strokes with thin gasket areas; I use a center punch and put about 6-8 dimples in the thin aluminum area to keep the gasket from sucking in...........

jellybelly559
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
i just dropped my bike off so hopefully itll b done before next weekend,.....i dont know how busy he is though