PDA

View Full Version : 205r Pipe is loose. do i need a new exhaust flange?

k00leo
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
The pipe on one of my 1985 atc 250r is very loose. Loose enough that oil has gathered all around the area where the pipe enters the head and on top of the bottom end of the motor.

What do I need to fix this problem? Do I need a new exhaust flange? Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-Exhaust-Flange-TRX250R-ATC250R-TRX-250R-250-R-/200529225558

or do I just need an exhaust flange gasket set like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/81-84-Honda-ATC250R-ATC-250R-Exhaust-Flange-Gasket-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem255fe2fb8bQQitemZ16052 2501003QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The silencer is not loose, it is secure. Its just the pipe where it enters the head. It does has the two springs that connect the pipe to the head.

I figure that since this pipe is so loose it could cause an air leak and create a lean mixture, correct?

Thanks for the help.

3wheelrider
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
1st- is your pipe held at the mounting tab under the tank? The pipe shouldnt move around when fastenened down.
2nd- youre gonna have to take it apart to inspect the flange fully. Does it leak before the flange (gasket) , or just where the pipe slips on (metal ring/seal)on the flange.
You probably want to replace the gasket at minimum anyway. The metal ring/seal could be missing a piece or the whole thing.-Only one way to find out. Yes- a leak there is not good.

Tecate250
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Go buy some high heat silicone. Remove pipe and clean off any oil. Smear some silicone around the whole pipe as well as the cylinder where the pipe goes in. Wipe ascess silicone off to make it look neat and tidy. And ill gurantee you will never have a leak again. Also works great for silencers.

k00leo
03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Hmm that seems like a good idea.

I will take the pipe off, inspect the flange and gaskets. If they look too far gone, i will replace them, if not, i will put some high heat silicone one it.

edit*

Wait, that might stop the slight leak, but it may not stop the wobble. I will have to give it a try and see if its not as loose.

Tecate250
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Trust me. I can remove my pipe springs and mounting nut as well as the silencer bolt and the whole pipe assembly wont move. To remove the pipe takes alot of effort. Some people say its over kill but mine never leaks and dont have to wait for a stupid o ring to come.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
My pipe on my 83 250r is leaking too what is this high heat silicone called I would like to get some.

k00leo
03-10-2011, 02:06 PM
We should be able to find some at autozone, true value, advanced auto or even lowes.

It should say on the packaging high heat silicone or something like that.

I have seen it before at my local autozone. I havent had time to try it out yet though, been really busy with school.

HONDA_ATC_FREAK
03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I'll have to look I HATE when the oil drips on my nice clean frame and everything else.