PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft slips?

Brosh
03-09-2011, 01:00 AM
I currently own a 86 250sx. I found another of the same on Craiglist and have been in contact with the owner. After getting all the information the only thing that scares me is he states that the driveshaft slips. I am new to this hobby and am not sure what this means exactly. How bad is it? What will it take to fix? Expensive? Thanks in advance, Brosh

Dirtcrasher
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
A slipping D-shaft means stripped splines or broken u-joint, maybe even bad gears in the rear. Yes thats expensive.....

But, what does he know? Maybe it's the manual clutch which has an adjustment.

You'll have to go see it and hear it run yourself.

Silverado
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
i would walk away from it. If you are new to the hobby you will be better off looking for something without any problems

dougspcs
03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I currently own a 86 250sx. I found another of the same on Craiglist and have been in contact with the owner. After getting all the information the only thing that scares me is he states that the driveshaft slips. I am new to this hobby and am not sure what this means exactly. How bad is it? What will it take to fix? Expensive? Thanks in advance, Brosh

Depends on the price, your level of expertise.

If it's a steal might be a good gamble..lowball him and tell him you know this issue and it's pricey.

tri again
03-09-2011, 02:32 PM
x2 w/ DC on the clutch adjust. for one thought.

I got one the guy was gonna part it out, said the trans was
grinding and shredded.

Turns out it was just the hub splines on the rear wheels.

Got it for 100$ after he realized ebay parts were hideously cheap.

Sure be nice to take someone with you that knows a little or get it cheap and buy another one. too

Driveshaft wouldn't really 'slip' but more clunkcrash and grind.

Imagine a 3 minute clutch adjustment. but bring a 17mm etc and check the differential oil but cut the deal beFORE you fix it in front of him.

Brosh
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks to all the replies. I emailed him back and said I was going to pass. I almost let me emotion get the best of me because I really wanted it but I will find another someday. His price started at $850 and I got him down to $600. I felt like that was still to much. It is possible that he does come back with a lower amount but what would really be worth it? $400? The rest of the trick isn't that bad. Rear brakes work but front do not, no cracks in the plastic, one small rip in the seat, electric start work, kick start slips though, it shifts though all the gears smoothly.

cattle-dog
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
brosh where are you in western ny ? i am in newfane and would gladly help you find a decent starter machine so you dont purchase a lemon or something that is more work than your wanting to do. cattledog/Don

Brosh
03-10-2011, 02:07 AM
I am from North Tonawanda. I currently own a 86 250sx already. I only got it less then a year ago and am in love with the trikes. I really wanted to get another for my family/friends to ride.