PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the trike

dream3wheeler
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
My 185 has a few problems that im looking at fixing since it isn't selling. This way maybe ill like it and actually keep it. So heres a few questions.

#1. Pull starter doesn't want to work right. I have to jerk it before it finally catches and then pull it to start the machine.

#2. The brakes need replacing. How do you change the rear brakes? how do you change the front brakes?

#3. Since i got it a few months back, it had been sitting for many years out in the rain and snow and what not! Soon im going to take out the engine and see what needs replacing. What should i look for when it comes to the pistons, valves, gaskets etc.

#4. Would replacing my sprockets and chain do anything? What if i wanted to try different sized sprockets for more speed, what should i look for?

#5. Suspension would be amazing. Any ideas for rear suspension (not looking for the weld-on or bolt on kit they use to make cause those are pretty hard to come by). And are there any alternatives to getting better from suspension? If there isnt any alternative, whats the best way to replace fork boots?

Im pretty sure thats all i wanted to know. they are pretty basic questions and a few of them i could probably find in a manual but i find its easier to go by someone elses personal experience. thanks

Yamaha_Rules69
03-08-2011, 11:04 PM
99% of the questions you asked above can be revealed in the service manual. READ IT!! For the rear suspension, anything is possible. It would be even better if you had a buddy that is good at welding / metal fab, then you could have a rear swingarm and shock from another 3 or 4 wheeler made to fit, that would be the best way to go.

1984 honda 200s
03-08-2011, 11:37 PM
for the pull starter...oil your dogs (the things that catch your starter cup) ,never replaced the breaks yet on mine,,,mite be new mite be stock who knows lol, id get it running right before you tackle the suspension and sproket changes...and deffinatly read the manual.

bcredneck
03-09-2011, 04:05 AM
i wouldnt start tearing down the motor unless its got low comp or its broke new valves only help if yours are messed up new valves acually leak for the first few hours you run them you can drop up to 5 teeth on the rear sproket to go faster the 185 is low geared to start with and if you could find a way to put a honda tripple pin in yamaha 225 tripples for better front shocks

dream3wheeler
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
fixed the pull starter today. still skips a pull every once in awhile but im satisfied with it. Ever since i took the cover off of the air intake box its been running much better and seems to have more power. any other small mods i can do to improve the performance (that doesnt have to do with the engine and interchangable parts for the topend)

hillbilly 200x
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
If it runnes better with the air box off you may have a problem. How is the air filter clean, dirty, or rotten? There is a few things you can do to get more power, clean your carb a new spark plug even changing the oil. If you have done this already the other things you can do is a bigger pipe but you will have to jet your carb for that. If you want to go into the engine you can get a cylinder from any honda 200 and get a high compression pitsion 10.25 to 1, a better cam maybe some porting

dream3wheeler
03-09-2011, 08:53 PM
It runs better with the air box open for some reason. not 100% why but i have a feeling its because of the carb. I bought the carb off ebay for 25 bucks when i got the 185. the air filter is new. ill be changing the oil again when it gets warm enough to work in my garage. i have a brand new spark plug i can put in. Ill do some work on it when it warms up. I wont be riding it for awhile since yesterday my rope for my pull starter got frayed close to the base and when i pulled the rope out to start it, the rope caught and bunched up the teather on the outside so that all that was left was the little bit of string in the middle...if that makes sense. well anyways i broke the the rope off and put more in that night and not more than an hour ago it did the same EFFING thing! Im losing my patience for pull starters, it seems that every wheeeler i get has a pull starter issue! So i gotta buy some rope and some other supplies and once it warms up im going to take the engine out, sand the plastics, get an original 185 tank, get a new front fender and sand it down if it needs it, paint the frame, put new boots on the forks, see what i can do about rear suspension, new brakes and cables, clean the carb, find some a new seat pan, get it lookin good and running like new. it'll be a fun project!

muthey
03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
one thing I learned with pull starters from my yamaha 225 dx was to grease the rope when installing it, never thought about it before, but will help with the friction it has when going in and out, also I would check the pull starter housing for excessive wear might be what is fraying your ropes

1984 honda 200s
03-10-2011, 12:45 AM
sand the hole that the rope comes out of, you mite have some wear there and a sharpe edge.

bcredneck
03-10-2011, 07:08 AM
you may have a rats nest in the frame tube thats connected to the air box

dream3wheeler
03-10-2011, 09:50 AM
rats nest i wouldnt doubt it. it was sitting in my neighbors tall over grown weeds for like 7 years or something. ill take the pull starter off again and do what i can with it.

muthey
03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
like I said just take a motor grease, and put it in your hand pull the rope out, vise grip it and run the grease up and down the rope, first learned about it from my yammi, and have done it to all my trikes, no more fraying ropes. Not only does it slick the rope up but it gives it a kind of sturdiness and helps keep other parts inside lubricated.

oscarmayer
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
:lol:i bet the air tube that goes through the frame has stuff in it. it's very common. you need to put a bag over the carb, take a pressure hose and shove it up the frame air hole. then blast away. you will be supprised what you find. when I first got my red, I ended up finding a dead mouse skill, grass, mud-dobber nets (old) and all sorts of crap. so yea try that.

i guess you can call this blowing air up the bum of the bike. :lol:

oscarmayer
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
i liek to use white lith greese onthe dog ears and small springs when i rebuild the pull starts. keeps it lubed and from binding metalically wise. the rope, you can wash it with soap and water, then let it dry. after dry, I will coil it up in a cup or bowl, and use WD40 on it.

dream3wheeler
03-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Well had a good day with it today. I took the pull starter off of it, got some new rope, this time i used a nylon rope and its really strong. burned both ends and oiled it up. along with the dogs. now it works perfect. then i changed the oil, and cleaned the filter, changed the spark plug, and put some seafoam in the tank. Runs like champ and im more than satisfied with keeping it now. it has the power that i was hoping it would have. nice little machine now. next step is shining everything up, getting new plastic, brakes, and some other little custom touches that im planning.