PDA

View Full Version : diesel engine oil for it's zinc and phosphorus content?

tri again
03-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Some say it's better for steel to aluminum contact points
like cam shafts to aluminum heads and has been generally decreased
in newer motor oils for various reasons.

Any suggestions?

Any price shock on cases of oil these days (yet)?

Time to bury a few case of something and it would be nice
to get the right stuff that will work on a bunch of
different machines.

camoweasel
03-08-2011, 12:50 AM
I have used Rotella and Delo for many years. Both are hardy oils and loaded with zinc and phosphorus. Have you looked at the label on the new Rotella bottles? It is JASO MA approved.

Macs
03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
I have been using rotella for quite a while with no complaints. I think it was $13.99 a gallon last time i bought some.

200XMichigan
03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I have used Rotella as well, awesome to see its JASO approved now. I have found Valvoline motorcycle oil (actually has slightly more zinc and phosporus and their ATV oil) for around $4-5 a quart. I should try to get the specs off Rotella. Valvoline has a PDF with specs of all their oils, zinc content, TBN, phosphorus, etc.

Actually I just e-mail Shell to get the specs for Rotella so we can know how it compares to Valvoline wet-clutch oil.

Dirtcrasher
03-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I've read it all over the net when you search "ZINC additive", lots of info about it and the havoc todays oils are causing............

Tri-Z 250
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
My brother sells Oil, Grease, Specitality Lubes for Central Petroleum or CEN*PE*CO. He sponcers many of the ATPA truck and tactor pullers in the National Series. All their products are highly refined and exceed ALL others. Approved by JohnDeer MFG, as well as the top Military Grade Spec given by the US goverment. Nothing on the MARKET will meet their standards...Amsoil, Purple, GTX, QuakerState ALL take a back seat and have done so test after test. PM me for contact info. The Company has been around since 1911 as a small developer of FARM and Over the Road oils and lubes. All the products are conditionded for EXTREME use in both Diesel and Gas powered motors.

vanaman
03-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Lucas makes a break-in additive that has added zinc to help with flat tappet cams and stuff.

steve

vanaman
03-08-2011, 11:34 PM
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Engine%20Break-In%20Oil%20Additive%20-%20TB%20Zinc%20Plus

Thorpe
03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Ripped this from the ZDDP website "After 70+ years of trouble-free, metal-metal engine protection, the E.P.A. is forcing ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate, containing both Zinc and Phosphorus) from domestic motor oil. If your engine was designed prior to the 1990s, your non-roller lifters require ZDDP in your motor oil to avoid premature deterioration."

We use this stuff on all the old motors of the cars we build in the shop... (for what its worth)

http://www.zddplus.com/

racer....X
03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
I use shell rotella in every engine I own. I also add some STP engine treatment, it has a high content of zinc

tri again
03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Ripped this from the ZDDP website "After 70+ years of trouble-free, metal-metal engine protection, the E.P.A. is forcing ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate, containing both Zinc and Phosphorus) from domestic motor oil. If your engine was designed prior to the 1990s, your non-roller lifters require ZDDP in your motor oil to avoid premature deterioration."

We use this stuff on all the old motors of the cars we build in the shop... (for what its worth)

http://www.zddplus.com/

Nice, clean hit Thorpe.

Very interesting read. Just a little shocked that I haven't heard about this topic.

Then again, I quit building engines and transmissions professionally back in the 80's.

But I also DO remember every Volvo that came in was guaranTEED to have a wasted cam.

My tractor is a 47, car 82, trucks 89 and 92, trikes are all, well, 70-80's Hondas so I guess it's time to go look for some SDDP. But I want to get the right stuff.

Most additives, especially particulate suspensions are almost immediately filtered out.

Like the teflon slick50 types.

I also liked the fact that there was little 'commercial bias' in the article.

ametzker
03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Another vote for Rotella T. It was the oil I used at my shop. I wish I still had that 55 gallon drum of it left.

RamsesRibb
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
What a coincidence. Mickey Dunlap just recommended Rotella for all four strokes in another thread on this forum.

Buster Brown
03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Good info. Thanks for sharing!

tri again
03-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Now I just read that diesel oils are more 'detergent' maybe foam more
and that diesel engines have less tight clearances so the oil really is designed differently
than for gas engines.

This is one of those times when the more I learn,
the less I know.

200XMichigan
03-11-2011, 09:50 AM
That's why I finally just bought motorcycle oil. Diesel oil is better but not perfect. I got a form from Lucas about the right amount of ZDDP to add to bring reg oil up to specs but its not a JPG so it doesn't want to attach. Going to see how much it costs vs just buying Valvoline motorcycle oil. Shell Rotella has not e-mail me back with the content of ZDDP.

camoweasel
03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
That's why I finally just bought motorcycle oil. Diesel oil is better but not perfect. I got a form from Lucas about the right amount of ZDDP to add to bring reg oil up to specs but its not a JPG so it doesn't want to attach. Going to see how much it costs vs just buying Valvoline motorcycle oil. Shell Rotella has not e-mail me back with the content of ZDDP.

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and search their forums. Under the virgin oil analysis page, you should find an oil analysis and it will tell you the amount of zinc and phosphorus.

camoweasel
03-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Now I just read that diesel oils are more 'detergent' maybe foam more
and that diesel engines have less tight clearances so the oil really is designed differently
than for gas engines.

This is one of those times when the more I learn,
the less I know.

This information WRONG and INACCURATE!!
All gasoline engine certifications begin with the letter "S". So an example would be SF, SG, SH, SJ, and SL. Guess what? On the back labels of all todays diesel oils, they too are either labeled SL or SM which is the newest gasoline engine certification as pronounced by the American Petrolueum Institute.

tri again
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
This information WRONG and INACCURATE!!
All gasoline engine certifications begin with the letter "S". So an example would be SF, SG, SH, SJ, and SL. Guess what? On the back labels of all todays diesel oils, they too are either labeled SL or SM which is the newest gasoline engine certification as pronounced by the American Petrolueum Institute.

man, I'm glad you brought that up.

Do those certifications account for the older engines and the zinc/phos question?
I just know less than before I heard about this 'new' topic.

Hard to tell the difference between marketing hype and
reality.

Don't really feel like getting a degree in lubrication physics
but buyer beware should be part of it all.

And learning everything we can is prob gonna have to happen.

Like everything else.

Like when they told us ethanol gas was ok.
And tanning beds are safe.

And high fructose corn syrup is blablkabla BUT is causing diabetes in kids
in epidemic numbers.

(sorry for venting)

Thanks for the info.

I just wish I knew what to do.

200XMichigan
03-11-2011, 04:58 PM

Seriously, that's why I just buy Valvoline motorcycle oil again, the more I read, the more there is this and that and its like f--- it. Just give me some Valvoline motorcycle oil and give my mind a break. Also adding ZDDP isn't much cheaper than just getting Valvoline in the first place. Diesel oil is fine for summer but too thick in winter.

RamsesRibb
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
The last time I checked gov regulation required phosphorus removed from any oil advertised as fuel economic. I think the only automotive oil that still contains any is the Mobil 1 extended service oil. As far as diesel oil, it is not considered automotive consumer oil but you can bet the day is coming when all the good stuff will be taken out of that too.