PDA

View Full Version : 200x exhaust.....?

jsmay
03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
ok... who is still making exhaust systems for 200x's... is dg and cobra the only choice? will an exhaust for a trx??? fit on a 200x? just wondering....? thanks guys.

tri again
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a cobra that needs repacking frequently and is only comfortable with ear plugs for me.

The other 10+ trikes haul &*(%$ and are quiet.

If it's an issue for you, make sure it meets off road db ratings AND spark arrest
requirements or the cops can impound your mo cheen.

Other folks on here know tons more than I do about freeer flowing, rejetting etc tec so surely someone will chime in soon.

jsmay
03-06-2011, 11:01 PM
thanks for the heads up on the cobra... not looking for loud just something better than what i hae now....an old stock thats pretty much a hollow can.

tri again
03-07-2011, 12:57 AM
If you can keep your eyes open, a whole parts trike may come along for the price of a new exhaust.

I like stock and the famous honda 1 kick start, puuuurrrrfect idle etc,
A tricky fancy new exhaust may cause you to take the carb off a few times to rejet because of the difference in air flow.

I guess if a couple seconds over a 1oo yard run means that much to some people but I just wanna ride and not get tickets or start fires and quieter is better for me. Doesn't scare the wildlife.

There's a ford tractor muffler people say will fit for like 25 bucks. Maybe fo4#

Gander mtn had some multi hundred dollar silencer for 50 bucks.

A good stock setup or similar is pleasing to hear idle and run.

Our local outdoor power equip place has some pretty cool mufflers cheap too.

Maybe they'd even give you an old one for free.

Start penetrating oiling your mounting bolts and head studs once a day, but hopefully you won't have to go anywhere near the head.

Maybe there's something that will simply slide inside your empty can.

As a matter of fact, the x I traded for a br had a generic silencer jammed right into the rear can and it fit like a glove.

It was about a foot long, same diameter exhaust pipe like 1 or 2 inch whatever it is, and the outer casing was a perfect fit with the stock can like 3 or 4" diameter.

harryredtrike
03-07-2011, 01:11 AM
i use a dg.mine works great and aint loud.it is louder than stock though.

Dirtcrasher
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Find a Supertrapp for a 350X and have a mid pipe made up.

I nabbed a nice one last week for 75$, no one bid...........

matt86200x
03-07-2011, 03:13 AM
Can you tell me more about the ford tractor muffler. Part# does it need to be welded to the headpipe?

leviblue
03-07-2011, 03:54 AM
check out Daltons200X 450 swap.... not much fabing at all if I remember and it sounded good. I just gave Robby a Kerker for Onnie's X. It's almost Harley sounding... I have the Supertrapp on my 500X. It's old school and needs a repacking

Chazz of Blades
03-07-2011, 05:24 AM
****IN MY OPINION****

Cobra's as a POS, DG's are nice, Bassani's are awesome, but SupperTrapp is one of my favorite pipes. But a good Bassani exhaust system is what I've found works best.

Jerm1179
03-07-2011, 05:33 AM
i love my bassani...but its rather loud aswell..if thats a concern you might want to think about the supertrapp...if its too loud add a few discs

xrider
03-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Actually if the supertrapp is too loud you remove discs fyi.

jsmay
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Do White bros still make pipes? I was hoping someone here may have tried a 250x pipe on a 200x... That may sound silly but if I had one I'd see if it was close... More options if it is... Cause they are the same as the 300ex. Or is there a universal fit muffler? Another question... I see dg offers a chrome system..does it hold up better? Looks like the head pipe is one piece over the plain steel 2 piece head pipe..

Jerm1179
03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
makes sense...opens it up a bit..ty

pjschulze30
03-07-2011, 10:59 AM
If your old stock silencer isn't too rotted-out a real easy fix is to remove-it, and squirt a liberal amount of WD-40 down the exhaust port and leave-it soak for a few hours. Straighten-out & sharpen the end of a coat hanger, then poke at the baffles with a bit of force. Not enough to damage any weakend parts, but with enough force to clear the holes that get carboned-up. Carefully remove the cleaning-cap at the bottom / end of the silencer and shake-out the debris. Leave-it sit for another few hours to allow any remaining lubricant to dry-up before you reinstall. Sometimes it will smoke a bit from the residual lubricant burning-off, but it quickly goes away as most of any left in the pipe is blow out.

My dealership mechanic told me this and I thought he was nuts.....but I tried anyway & I was shocked at the difference. My 250SX was a lot quieter & idled much better after I did it. I t always had a bit of a "hiccup" at idle prior to me doing this....and I never even noticed that it had gotten progressivley louder over the years.

jsmay
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM
If your old stock silencer isn't too rotted-out a real easy fix is to remove-it, and squirt a liberal amount of WD-40 down the exhaust port and leave-it soak for a few hours. Straighten-out & sharpen the end of a coat hanger, then poke at the baffles with a bit of force. Not enough to damage any weakend parts, but with enough force to clear the holes that get carboned-up. Carefully remove the cleaning-cap at the bottom / end of the silencer and shake-out the debris. Leave-it sit for another few hours to allow any remaining lubricant to dry-up before you reinstall. Sometimes it will smoke a bit from the residual lubricant burning-off, but it quickly goes away as most of any left in the pipe is blow out.

My dealership mechanic told me this and I thought he was nuts.....but I tried anyway & I was shocked at the difference. My 250SX was a lot quieter & idled much better after I did it. I t always had a bit of a "hiccup" at idle prior to me doing this....and I never even noticed that it had gotten progressivley louder over the years.

I would try that but there is nothing left to the inside... just the muffler shell... not rotted or anything just empty.

tri again
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I have one like that so I rolled up a piece of
1/4" galvanized screen to the diameter of the exhaust pipe
and shoved it in there.

Then I packed around the screen with stainless steel pot scrubbers
and capped it.

I tried the mfm or fmf whatever 'correct' fiberglass packing from the bike shop and I swear it
blew a cloud of fiberglass sparkles the size of the barn and it never did stop.

Which is why I ripped it out and went to the stainless scrubbers.
Not as quiet as I like but definitely less painful to the ears.

Depends on how much extra$ one has lying around.

I'd rather spend $ burying food, fuel, oil and gold these days.

I have one with a car muffler hanging off the rack and yes, I expect to
get laughed at, but it also makes the trike a little more theft proof too.

sx250heath
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I have super trapp on mine. works great and sounds good too

squirrel1182
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I have one like that so I rolled up a piece of
1/4" galvanized screen to the diameter of the exhaust pipe
and shoved it in there.

Then I packed around the screen with stainless steel pot scrubbers
and capped it.

Does that make it close to stock quiet? dad gutted my muffler and i need it quiet.

tri again
03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
It really needs a baffle of some sort to make it stock quiet. or the exhaust pulses come directly out the back,
kinda like hammer blows.

That repack with either fiberglass or steel wool type stuff helps but does blow out after a while and the
bike shop repacking fiberglass is just absurd the way it blows house sized clouds of
fiberglass sparkles.

I wish I had the name of that silencer I got for 10 bucks.

The pipe diameter was the same as the head pipe and the outside diameter
made it a kick fit right into the open can you have.
I think I used one sheet metal screw to hold it in.

Didn't look stoopid at all, sounded lovely and comforting,
worked great and cost 10 bucks and took less than 5 minutes.

Do you have some sort of bike junkyard near you?

What about those mufflers that have what looks like to be a stack of
coffee can lids stacked up on the end??

I wonder if you can just buy those separately?

My all time favorite is a car muffler I found on the side of the road.
Hangs perfectly off my rear rack.

I just don't like loud and neither do the neighbors, so I feel for you.

I've been dragging a spike toothed harrow for like an hour a day and I can't really use my
favorite trike for just that very reason.

squirrel1182
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
It really needs a baffle of some sort to make it stock quiet. or the exhaust pulses come directly out the back,
kinda like hammer blows.

That repack with either fiberglass or steel wool type stuff helps but does blow out after a while and the
bike shop repacking fiberglass is just absurd the way it blows house sized clouds of
fiberglass sparkles.

I wish I had the name of that silencer I got for 10 bucks.

The pipe diameter was the same as the head pipe and the outside diameter
made it a kick fit right into the open can you have.
I think I used one sheet metal screw to hold it in.

Didn't look stoopid at all, sounded lovely and comforting,
worked great and cost 10 bucks and took less than 5 minutes.

Do you have some sort of bike junkyard near you?

What about those mufflers that have what looks like to be a stack of
coffee can lids stacked up on the end??

I wonder if you can just buy those separately?

My all time favorite is a car muffler I found on the side of the road.
Hangs perfectly off my rear rack.

I just don't like loud and neither do the neighbors, so I feel for you.

I've been dragging a spike toothed harrow for like an hour a day and I can't really use my
favorite trike for just that very reason.
The only junkyard that i know of is about an hours drive away. And with dads truck only gettin 6-7mpg:rolleyes: i dont think well go there.

are baffels like round plates that go in the exhaust and have holes through them?

That stainless steel scrubber pad sounds like a good idea. I instructed mom to pick up 6 or so of them Saturday when she goes to town. im going to take a piece of galvanized screen and push that down to the end of the exhaust and fill the space with those scrubbers. Then at the end im going to make a plate out of something hopefully steel if i have any and make a cap with holes in it to hold it all in. If i dont have a piece of steel will aluminum work? Ive got a sheet of .125 aluminum in the basement.

Daltons200x
03-08-2011, 09:06 PM
heres a short vid of my conversion, its just a cobra headpipe for a 200x and a silencer for a 300ex, i just put a spacer at the back and had to trim the headpipe a little. its a ton quieter than the crapp cobra i had and i actually noticed a power difference down low...but anyway the cobra headpipes are larger diameter pipe and they are cheap last time i looked u can buy just the header from cobra for like 20 sum bucks i think it is and its real easy to make almost any exhaust fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41e2YjtQZU