PDA

View Full Version : 85 250R shifting problem-I think I fixed it!

2fiftyR
03-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I pulled my clutch cover today to look around,removed the clutch and basket and all that crap in the way of the shift mechanism and noticed that the spring loaded roller that engages on the outboard end of the shift drum in the star portion ,was stuck in the up position. I backed off the retaining bolt a little and it snapped down into the detent.I think that whoever put the engine together forgot to do that after they installed the pawl mechanism. It now seems to go through all the gears, but I have to wait till I get a new gasket and oil to really try it out. Does this sound like the fix to anybody ouy there?

Dirtcrasher
03-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Sounds good to me bud :D

Make sure that bolt isn't binding that arm/roller (once re-tightened) which could cause shifting issues too. The shoulder could be worn out if it's that type of bolt.........

2fiftyR
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Dirtcrasher, I just want to say thank you for the reassurance and your insight on my problem as well as being about the only person on here to reply. If not for you, I probrably would have torn down the engine and spent a bunch of money that I didnt have to. As far as the bolt that holds the roller in place, it looks as good as new, so does everything else in the trans that I could see, so it might last long enough for me to melt it down. When that happens(and it will eventually) I will replace every part I can get.

Dirtcrasher
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
^ You are very welcome! Ya know what? Give yourself ALLOT of credit. The majority either don't try anything, want their hand held or the motor ends up in a 5 gallon bucket.

I don't know any more than the manuals and experience tell me and thats at everyone's fingertips.

I'm very glad to hear you got it pretty easily!

Usually if it pops out of 1 gear, then there is an internal issue; Yours seemed different though :beer I couldn't see you tearing that whole motor down based on your description.

P.S. All I meant on the bolt is that sometimes something gets worn, wears a groove and doesn't do it's job anymore, rather it binds up. I've seen it happen with mainshafts and clutches that won't separate because something is too worn.

2fiftyR
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I just rode this thing and its fixed!!! Now its on to tuning/jetting. Thanks a bunch D.C. Im so happy