PDA

View Full Version : Suprised Atc185S trail riding

3wheeledjunkie
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Took the 185S trail riding last monday amd it blew me away. Except for the slipping clutch and the lack of rear brakes, I won't ever take my 110 to Big Rock ever again. My little trike even went places my buddy's 2007 Rubicon wouldn't in 4wd. Mud, water, rocks, or grass it couldn't and wouldn't be stopped. and this was all on stock 1985 atc 110 nobbies, (I had switched the wheel/tires out because I wasn't riding the 185 at one time and it had brand new tires on it). And this was my first ride in the knarly stuff with a front suspension trike, what a difference it makes! Oh one question on the clutch slip. What could be the cause.? At one time we tried pull starting it (because I didn't know the CDI wire had come unplugged) and it wouldn't let me pop it in gear. It might catch then just free wheel like in neutral.But after I got it back up and running, it acts like your slipping the clutch by hand, like on a 350x or something. Back when we tried pull starting it, I adjusted the clutch to no end. So what could be the issue. I'm thinking the friction disk are just worn out. Once you get up to speed it pulls fine, doesn't slip on hills or nothing and nevers pops outta gear. And only seems to present the simptom if in first. Going from first to second and on up it just seems to pull fine in the other gears. But thats probably cause I'm already up to speed. Any Ideas?

dougspcs
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
1st the stupid questions just to get them out of the way..

Did you change the oil and make sure the oil in it is for wet clutch use?

ametzker
03-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I would say you hit the nail on the head. The clutch is worn. It onlys slips at low speed when under a load because there is a lot more torque being put on the clutch as opposed to when your already moving at a good speed. Replace the friction disks and it should be night and day difference. I am building a 185s for my wife right now but I have made it in to a fully suspended trike. Check out this link and let me know what you think. The more I work on hers, the more it makes me want one. = )

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126403-185-S-for-SUSPENSION-PROJECT-STARTED-quot-NEW-PICS-3-4-2011-quot-CHROME-SWINGARM-)

3wheeledjunkie
03-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah, changed maybe 2 weeks ago. Used Honda GN4 10w-40. Only oil I 've ever put in it has been Honda GN4, but I've only changed it twice but proby doesn't have 30 hours on it since I've owned it. I usually change right around Jan or Feb and then around Aug-Sept. I know I'm being really conservative about the oil changes, but it only takes about 1.5 qts. Could it also be the centrifucal clutch?

3wheelrider
03-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Your friction discs are worn. Change them and the springs too...it will feel like another trike after that. Your gonna need the right side cover gasket cuz it more than likely break when you remove the cover. Clean that oil rotor -since it has to come off anyway. The centrifical should be okay.-remove it but dont disassemble it.

79fordblake
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I love my 185s on the tail, it can do a little bit of everything. I have tons of fun on it. I replaced everything in my clutch last spring, what a difference it made. The clutch pack and centrifugal clutch were both getting in bad shape So I replaced both and installed heavy duty springs also.

200XMichigan
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Probably want to change it more than that. Small amounts of gas get past the rings while it sits and the oil can still deteriorate. The oil can look clean and have a gas odor and it will have lost some of its lubrication.

3wheeledjunkie
03-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Well I always start em up every once in an while and put around the yard. Bu I really only get em out and exercise em once or twice a month. More so when theres snow on the ground. I'll probly buy KG frictions Where'd you get the HD springs? And when I change the clutch do i need to remove the spacer or just the side cover?

79fordblake
03-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I got the EBC frictions, Vesrah HD springs, Parts Unlimited clutch shoes all from Dennis-Kirk. Also got a great used drum with no grooves off ebay.

3wheelrider
03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
And when I change the clutch do i need to remove the spacer or just the side cover?[/QUOTE]

Spacer?- You need to remove the side cover. Remove the centrifical clutch to get to the manual clutches.-youre gonna need the clutch nut tool- to remove the assembly. Air tools are very helpful doin this job. Download the manual & take your time..............