PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to paint 87 Honda Big Red metal tank and forks??

Crash-Test
03-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on painting my 87 Big Red? I got new oem plastic, but the tank (metal tank) and forks need painted since they are faded and the gas tank has a dent etc. So I found reproduction decals and all that good stuff- I was just wondering the best way to match the red paint, and have a dourable finish to look good. I really don't wanna rattle can it but I don't know- U guys got any tips on methods, paint brands etc? Thanks

Crash-Test
03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
any suggestions?

sam200es
03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
the paint code for my 84 big red was R-109 "passion red" it crossed over to PPG-911-264, i havent painted it yet but my buddy just painted his honda xr75 with the same brand of paint (slightly different shade though) and it is an EXACT match to the original paint.

Crash-Test
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Honda Big Red Paint? help

2fiftyR
03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
I use omni/ppg paints with good results. I cant help with the paint code or color, but I can offer some tips on painting (im not a pro).If you have a da sander,sand the entire tank your choice if you go to bare metal,depending on the severity of the dents you can fill them with bondo lots of sanding with the da and by hand until you are happy with the repair. I like to use several coats of high build primer,sanding between each coat until you can no longer see or feel the repaired area. The actual painting is the easiest part assuming you have a paint gun. The first coat should cover but dont try to make it look perfect yet.You need to give the next coat of paint somthing to hang on to.Give the paint enough time to flash off, this will reduce the chance of orange peel.The second coat should be a little heavier,and the last coat is when you look for a even shine. Painting isnt that hard,practice on something else if you like until you get the hang of it

ametzker
03-09-2011, 11:18 PM
2fiftyr is right. I like using the OMNI paint for price point but it will all work. I clear most projects I do as well, it tends make a nicer deeper shine and it doesn't take much. Check this clip out. This was just a quick little 1.5 hour project from start to finish and it is holding up great for my son.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbm1UW_5pN0

Crash-Test
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys I'll check into it- I was thinking about using some bondo- or even taking it to a body shop- The dents aren't that bad- I know a shop could pull them out or whatever they would do- i'll check on the omni paint or where to buy it and stuff-