PDA

View Full Version : I found a 'New Old Stock' 1986 250SX engine.. with zero hours..

dougspcs
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Aldochina suggested I should post my thread here to get more response..I'm a newb so here goes.

I am new to 3 wheeling. At 40 I decided I need a hobby and bought 2, Big Red 250ES, and a 250SX. Both are in decent shape and I am loving this sport!!

Recently a message showed up in the local Craigslist from a guy claim to have a NOS 250SX engine. So I ran over and bought it but at $300 I think I stole it. Seems the guy worked in a machine shop that was paid by the local Honda distributor to destroy all the 3 wheelers that hadn't been sold when were made illegal in 1986.

They had at one time 14-15 and over the years had given a few to the local high school, then sold some and I happened to get the last one.

WHAT A SCORE..this engine is mint. The wiring and cables were all cut when it was pulled, it has 25 years of shop grime on it from sitting on a shelf. But this is the real deal. Original oil in the sump and still clear, no carbon in the exhaust port, starter, stator, and carb included.

I am starting a ground up restore on my 250SX with this new engine being the crowning piece..

I posted my story on the Facebook website for 3wheeler.com and got mixed thoughts. Some were as excited as I, some didn't believe me, and one guy looked at the pictures I posted and commented on my nice Honda Odyssey engine. Like they even look similar..dope!!

Has anyone ever seen this before? There couldn't be many like it around. What are they worth? To me it's priceless and I'm not selling it but I'm just curious.

Also, here are some pics. A few bumps a scrapes from being handed over the years. This is how it looked after I got it home and clean most of the 25 years of grime off of it..pretty huh?

mykwillis
03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
nice! i think it was an excellent score!

Xhumeka
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Nice score indeed - especially for Canada!

Silverado
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow ! you are a lucky fellow !

dougspcs
03-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Actually I found it in Port Huron, Michigan. I live just across the river..

matt86200x
03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Wow nice score!

Dirtcrasher
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Did you swim over to get it? :lol:

Thats a great score, change the oil and filter and you'll get 20 years out of that engine easy.............

Xhumeka
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Actually I found it in Port Huron, Michigan. I live just across the river..

Port Huron is a goldmine for us Canadians - that's where I scored a great deal on a very low hour Banshee. When I went to pick it up, as soon as I crossed the border into Port Huron it seemed every corner had a shop with a bunch of used bikes/atvs for sale.

Mondexbrute
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
that is a once in a lifetime find right there!

Jason125m
03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
You sir, are very lucky to find that for so cheap. Best score on a NOS motor i have heard of. Grats, you'll get another 30 years out of that motor easy! and if your old ones still good you got a backup!

oscarmayer
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
yea i recommend moth-balling this one and redoing your stocker witha fresh top end and clutches, cam chain, seals, chain guides and such. keep this special gem as a backup just in case.

TheBlueWale
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I hope that you know that you got yourself a 1987 sx engine, the camchain tensioner and the starter gear cover give it away.

dougspcs
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Bluewale..you sure of that?? If so holy shlT!! I wasn't sure but just suspected it was an 1986..I couldn't find a serial number ID chart for the engine. Have you ever heard of such a reference chart?

Xhumeka
03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
try this mate: http://atcvin.webs.com/

atc500x
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Bluewale..you sure of that?? If so holy shlT!! I wasn't sure but just suspected it was an 1986..I couldn't find a serial number ID chart for the engine. Have you ever heard of such a reference chart?

He's right,the 87 model is different,the starter is also different,fill not interchange will 85 and 86 model

TheBlueWale
03-03-2011, 07:51 PM

I think that it's worth holding onto the way it is and not putting it to use.

350XJEDI
03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
:DAWESOME DEAL :idea: you need to keep a eye on that goldmine , something else may show up for the LUCKY ONE :crazy::cool: WELCOME TO THE TRIKE HOBBY .:Bounce:Bounce:beer

dougspcs
03-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys for all the great input..I promise to update as I begin my 250SX restore and install this new engine. I know some think I should mothball it for the future, but I know I will get a lot more enjoyment from this lucky find if I play with it instead of shelving it.

This is a great site and I will visit, enjoy the forum input and advise, and offer input as much as I can.

Cheers..