PDA

View Full Version : Weak spark after breaking recoil rope. 225dx

vartz04
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I feel like i opened pandora's box when I broke this recoil rope. Ive only had this trike a week (1984 225dx).

On saturday I broke the recoil starter rope, thing ran like a champ until then. I bought more rope, took the recoil apart put a new rope in it, realized the plastic pulley is cracked slightly and now the recoil won't rewind. No biggie, time to tackle the electric start problems. Discovered the only thing wrong with it was the starter itself. Bought a new starter put it in, just jumpered the wire straight to the battery to test the starter, cranks the motor like a champ but wont start the trike.

So i think, compression (plenty), fuel (ran fine and nothing has been adjusted since then) and spark.....pull the plug, its wet, check for spark, its definitely weak. Weird that It ran perfectly fine until I broke that starter rope. Anyway it wont start now, Plug looks a little bit fouled so I am going to grab a new one tomorrow but is there any reason I would have weak spark now but the engine ran fine when using the pullstarter before?

vartz04
03-02-2011, 10:57 PM
put a new plug in spark is strong wont kick though. Even tried ether thru the air box and nothin....I am getting pretty frustrated with this thing.

It be nice If i could get this fixed....I am supposed to ride sunday.

vartz04
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Okay I read somewhere that you have to use the start button to start it it will crank but wont run if you just jump the starter...is this true? Suposidly it gives the CDI a starting point for spark, so when I just jumper it its sparking out of time?

briano
03-03-2011, 08:45 PM
You can jump the starter, as long as the key and kill switch is on. It's the same as using the button, you are just connecting the two large positive cables.

vartz04
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
okay I did that, Nothing.

The thing won't kick and I am having a hard time figuring out what changed when I broke that rope. It won't kick at all now. Also there is no power going to either of the wires at the starter button I am going to tear thru the wiring on saturday but something else is not right it has compression, fuel, and spark, even with ether nothing, Only thing I can think is that there is a timing issue but why would that just show up all of a sudden?

bcredneck
03-04-2011, 02:02 AM
did you losse any small parts or screws when you were working on the pull start if any metal got stuck to the fly wheel mag it would smack your stator and wreak it

vartz04
03-04-2011, 10:56 AM
spark is fine now that I gapped the plug and replaced it, Also no, it came out as one whole piece I screwed it up while I was taking it apart/putting it back together no where near the motor.

I guess the real issue now is gettin the trike to start via the electric start. It makes no sense its crankin the motor with good power and getting spark/compression and the fuel isnt an issue cause I am spraying ether but it will NOT kick no matter what just cranks and cranks and cranks.

1984 honda 200s
03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
check your crank case for gas in the oil ,i just bought myself a 225dx last nite the lad i bought it off of said he couldnt get it started, crank and crank and crank nothing, checked the oil and it was FULL of gas. hope this helps!

vartz04
03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
that would make sense I guess but it wasnt like that when I changed the oil and the thing ran like a beast before this happened.

muthey
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
if it has flooded the motor any with fuel good chance there is gas in the oil, a friend of mie sank his 185s in the water deep enough that the oil was creamed and it wouldn't run, did an on the spot oil change and it fired right over

vartz04
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
okay ill check the oil....I guess I just don't see why this would cause the engine not to start, can you explain this to me?

riverrat
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
If your battery is weak, the starter can drain voltage while cranking, and that affects how much voltage goes to the ignition(I think, not sure on your bike). Check ever single connection for corrosion too, especially grounds.

squirrel1182
03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
if you sprayed alot of eather in it you might have flooded it and therefor making it not want to start now. If you think you flooded it got a candle lighter (like one of them long ones so you dont burn yourself(you can use a regular lighter you might burn yourself tho.) and pull plug and pull it over slowly while you have the flame right at the spark plug hole. If it flames up keep doing it till you see no flame and then try to start it. Doing that will burn out all the unburnt fuel. Ive had to do that with my old quad a few times.

bcredneck
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
If your battery is weak, the starter can drain voltage while cranking, and that affects how much voltage goes to the ignition(I think, not sure on your bike). Check ever single connection for corrosion too, especially grounds.

there is no way that could happen with unless you have battery ignition and thats realy rare on atvs or dirtbikes a normal cdi uses ac power from a seperate stator than the battery this is why race bikes have 1 stator and endro/offroad have 2 stators

1984 honda 200s
03-04-2011, 11:14 PM
i cant explain the gas in the oil= not starting , i havent a clue but id think everytime its cranked over it would be like its flooded out to much fuel to be burnt and with the water in the oil, water wetting the plugg everytime its cranked over..? just my guess....

bcredneck
03-05-2011, 01:49 AM
pull your plug spin the motor and put it back in then try to start it with no choke if flooding is the problem it should start

vartz04
03-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Well its not the weak battery I put my jump starter pack on it and then cranked it and nothing just spins and spins and spins.

I am going to pull the valve covers off....its gotta be a timing thing. thats the only thing left that could be the issue. Spark + Fuel + compression = running and I have all 3 and its not.

1984 honda 200s
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
change your spark plug? sometimes a plugg looks good but it isnt. your insulator could be cracked causing it to ground out...

vartz04
03-05-2011, 10:41 PM
already did that. please see this thread for the current break down i narrowed down the issues. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?126848-1984-225dx-Ignition-Issues