PDA

View Full Version : Engine idles fine but shuts off when its given gas

Jamezzz
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
i got a yamaha 225Dr, it idles well but as soon as you give it any gas it dies. i think that the problem might be the actualy fuel nipple. where the line from the tank goes on the metal fuel nipple on the carb, that fuel nipple actually has pulled out of the carb. it is just sort of a pressure fit thing, since its not in there tight im assuming its creating an air leak making it run stupid. any ideas on how to fix this? im thinking just push it into the carb and then JB weld around it.

Xpress
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Clean your carb.

Jamezzz
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
ive went through it about 3 times now. its also kept outside in the cold might i add

1984 honda 200s
03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
my 200s was like that after i put top end in it. let it idle for 15 or so minutes to warm it up, then give it gas slowly. if it dies it could be clogged jet or your needle. for me it was my needle.

scottyms
03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
it's a dirty jet or passage... pull the carb completly appart and use a piece of thin wire to make sure all the jets and passage ways are clear... i have had a couple of those and its dam near imposable to keep them running right... check your idle air screw settings, if it dies right away you need more fuel, i believe by turning that screw in it will make it richer...

scotty

Xpress
03-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Soak your jets overnight too, should clear them right up. Also make sure theres nothing inside of your tank other than gas. Not sure if it's plastic or metal, but flush it out, put fresh gas in it and use a fuel filter. Should keep the carb relatively clean... :)

Kevo225dx
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
On mine, the clip that holds the needle in the throttle slide comes loose. When that happens, it will idle perfectly, but die when you open the throttle since the needle doesn't lift out op the needle jet. I tried a different position on the needle and so far it works fine. It may be too rich or lean come summer...but for now, it works.