PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R axle threads L or R?

dcreel
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I know.. stupid question. Are the axle's hub nuts regular (left to remove) or reverse thread (right to remove). I have a manual.. it doesn't say. All of my other trikes are regular thread. I have put pb blaster on them and I'm using an air impact gun. Nothing. No movement in either direction on either hub.

Apparently some 20 foot giant with a 15 foot breaker bar put these on there.

Oh.. the chain slider isn't there either.. yeah great.. I love fixing people's mistakes..

One other question what holds on the rear sprocket hub? The manual is extremely vague on this.. I'm quickly changing my mind on how great these 250R's are..

Dirtcrasher
03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
RH hub threads to the axle.

LH on the axle nut.

Some sprocket hubs have a clip but I'm sure you could remove it and throw it away. Of the few axles I've attempted to remove the sprocket hub, it took tons of heat and my 20 to press. They are an extremely tight interference fit............

dcreel
03-02-2011, 06:52 PM
So an 86 250r hub nut goes left to loosen, correct?

Where do I get a 54mm wrench for the brake hub nut?

I'm taking it that Honda builds everything to take a "special" wrench or socket that'll only cost you $50.. sweet.. Now I have to pull the swingarm to put on the new chain slider..

bkm
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
So an 86 250r hub nut goes left to loosen, correct?

Where do I get a 54mm wrench for the brake hub nut?

I'm taking it that Honda builds everything to take a "special" wrench or socket that'll only cost you $50.. sweet.. Now I have to pull the swingarm to put on the new chain slider..

You are correct sir. The axle is the one part that pisses me off on my R. The hub nuts are standard thread and the anti-fade axle nut is rh threads.

Red Rider
03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm taking it that Honda builds everything to take a "special" wrench or socket that'll only cost you $50.. sweet.. Now I have to pull the swingarm to put on the new chain slider..Nope, no special tools required for removing the rear axle, just a big monkey or crescent wrench. Unless you bought an aftermarket chain slider, removing the swingarm to install the new one isn't necessary, because the stock ones have a split in them.

You bought a 25 year old used bike, so you're gonna have to expect some issues with neglected components.

The hub nuts are standard thread and the anti-fade axle nut is rh threads.Actually, standard threads are RH, and the anti-fade axle nut is non-standard, so it would be LH.

bkm
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Nope, no special tools required for removing the rear axle, just a big monkey or crescent wrench. Unless you bought an aftermarket chain slider, removing the swingarm to install the new one isn't necessary, because the stock ones have a split in them.

You bought a 25 year old used bike, so you're gonna have to expect some issues with neglected components.

Actually, standard threads are RH, so if the anti-fade axle nut is non-standard, it would be LH.

Duh, sorry for the brain fart. I had it back asswards. I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

dcreel
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Alright, thanks guys for the info.. I finally got one to come loose.. There is a lithium grease on the splines of the hubs.. They have probably been on there since it was new.. Good info about the oem slider. Yes, I got an oem slider.. good to go on that..

Has anyone been lucky enough to find a wrench the size of the big bolt (54mm), My town is all out of BFCW's.. :lol:

bkm
03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I used a pipe wrench with duck tape over the jaw teeth to keep from gouging up the axle nut. It still left a few marks but not to bad. Mine was actually pretty loose from the factory.

Eric250R
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I used a pipe wrench with duck tape over the jaw teeth to keep from gouging up the axle nut. It still left a few marks but not to bad. Mine was actually pretty loose from the factory.

same here, big ass pipe wrench with a cloth thrown over it....

Red Rider
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Has anyone been lucky enough to find a wrench the size of the big bolt (54mm), My town is all out of BFCW's.. :lol:I looked all over the place for one with no luck. I finally checked Harbor Freight & found a ridiculously huge crescent wrench, that barely fit, for about $15. Good luck.

dcreel
03-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I bought these.. Going to give them a shot.. By the way I still have one hub nut that won't come loose. Going to warm it up a little tomorrow and hit it with the gun some more..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170527447077&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

dcreel
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm back guys.. the r/h hub nut still won't come off.. Any ideas?? I've heated it with a torch, then hit it with the air impact. Nothing.. no movement. It will not move.. Am I going to have it cut off with a torch? The r/h hub nut is counterclockwise to remove right?? Not that it matters.. I've tried both ways, upside down, a can of pb blaster.

I need some ideas.. help

bkm
03-03-2011, 09:45 PM
If you had a dremel or a cutoff wheel I would go that route first. A torch might waste the axle if your not careful.

Ironbnder
03-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Or a nut splitter. Probably get one at Harbor Freight. Stay calm and be kind to the axle. It is only the nut you are mad at.

dcreel
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
If you had a dremel or a cutoff wheel I would go that route first. A torch might waste the axle if your not careful.

Ooh.. dremel with a little cut off wheel.. Thanks for that.. Another question. Why do they put 2 screws to drain the coolant? One at the water pump and one in the cylinder? Can I just drain the radiator fluid at the water pump and leave the cylinder drain screw alone? Or since all I'm doing is a head gasket can I just drain the cylinder and leave the drain at the water pump alone?

Thanks guys..

dcreel
03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Or a nut splitter. Probably get one at Harbor Freight. Stay calm and be kind to the axle. It is only the nut you are mad at.

Nut splitter? hmm? What's this of which you speak? I ride a Tecate we don't need those. :lol:

Ironbnder
03-03-2011, 10:08 PM
It is a tool that will split the metal nut off the axle by tightening down kinda like a tiny press with a wedge made to it. Unless you get crazy with it, you should not feel any pain.:D

Red Rider
03-04-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm back guys.. the r/h hub nut still won't come off.. Any ideas?? The r/h hub nut is counterclockwise to remove right?? I need some ideas.. helpYes, both hub nuts are standard threads.

Is the wheel off? Is there possibly a piece of the cotter pin stuck in there & jamming it up? If there isn't, I'd ditch the impact wrench, and get a breaker bar, or something with more leverage. Hold the rear brake with your right foot while using the breaker bar to remove the hub nut.

Red Rider
03-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Another question. Why do they put 2 screws to drain the coolant? One at the water pump and one in the cylinder? Can I just drain the radiator fluid at the water pump and leave the cylinder drain screw alone? Or since all I'm doing is a head gasket can I just drain the cylinder and leave the drain at the water pump alone?

Thanks guys..The one in the cylinder is to drain the water jackets. Using the drain bolt on the cylinder should drop the coolant to a sufficient level for replacing the head gasket, but I always use the one on the waterpump as it's easier & less messy to drain into a jug.

bcredneck
03-04-2011, 01:56 AM
i just slide a long ass tube over my ratchet never had a problem with a suck bolt other than the big one on the axle you speak of

bkm
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Any luck yet? I just had my go around with my 350x axle. Holy Sh#t, Honda axle setups can go "F" themselves. A torch, huge pipe wrench, breaker bar, and an air hammer later, I have it apart. I messed with it for 4 hours yesterday before finally breaking down and taking it to my buddies shop.

dcreel
03-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I got a nut splitter. Going to try that tomorrow.. :-)

dcreel
03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, I made about 3 chops into the nut with the nut splitter and it still wouldn't come off. I used a chisel to start cutting into the shoulder of the nut. Banged on it a few and nothing.. I started getting pissed hammered a socket onto what was left of the nut, hit it with the impact and it came right off.. Cheebus what a nightmare.. It's over now though.. Game on.. :-)

Brockey
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Holy dear god. I don't wanna fight with this on my R then. We live in the rust capital here. Eekk.

bkm
03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Now on to the axle nut. I hope you have better luck than I did with my X.

dcreel
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
These wrenches work awesome.. Big ups for these wrenches...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/G-Force-OEM-Axle-Nut-Wrench-45mm-56mm-Honda-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b43a5825QQitemZ17052 7447077QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://www.machiiimotorsports.com/images/ebay/g-force_axle_nut_wrench.jpg

Pics of the nut after the nut splitter. :lol: The threads on the axle are still good. The nut splitter I got wasn't big enough to fit over the shoulder of the nut, so I had to cut that with a hammer and a chisel. Seems like a lot of work for something that should be little more than hand tight.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/006-20.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w182/dcreel/003-24.jpg