PDA

View Full Version : Chroming parts

jensenracing77
03-01-2011, 08:44 PM
i found a guy in Indianapolis that has a good reputation. i think am going to try him and see. he can't give a price over the phone obviously but did say to expect $60 area for the back bar of the 74 ATC 70, $80 area for the handlebars and around $20 for the thumb throttle top. does anyone have any experience with getting parts chromed? does this price sound fair?

hoosierlogger
03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Rob said these guys are top notch. They charged him $150 to do the dash strip on his bike.

http://brownsplating.com/

ametzker
03-01-2011, 09:21 PM
That price sounds ridicuolous. Top notch or not.

hoosierlogger
03-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I completely agree that $150 is a little high.

ironchop
03-01-2011, 09:36 PM
who`s the guy in Indy, Jensen?

I lived there and had some custom stuff chromed by a raggedy-ass shop on the southside near madison and 31...placed looked like hell but they were fair priced and did a NICE job...can`t recall the name....like American plating or something like that....I`d know it if I heard it

Vealmonkey
03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Chroming is a crazy thing. You figure, you send your parts and first they have to be stripped. Then before anything, your parts have to be polished. Then in case of heavy pitting, your parts have to be copper or brass plated several times and made to be polished to a mirror finished. The chroming will only be as good as the initial surface of the material to be chromed and that is why it can take alot of prepwork before your part even hits the nickel plating tank. Then the parts are chromed plated and sometimes triple chrome plated. The chrome plating gives your nickel the depth and durability of shine. If you see the chrome tank, it's a rootbeer color, for lack of a better description. Then it really depends on the type of chrome plating. Hexavalant is one type and their are 1 or 2 others that escape me right now. Depending on how labor intensive the part preparation prior to plating is, determines the final cost. It's highly labor intensive. Also environmental factors have done alot to drive up the cost of chroming and drive away many of the small chroming businesses that existed at one time. There are chrome companies that have worldwide reputations, but they cost but can do amazing things with some really horrendous parts. If you have an original part that is basically no longer in existence, then oftentimes you may not have a choice. But we are talking trikes here, not bugattis, so it can be hard to keep things in perspective.

scottyms
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
http://www.customchromeplating.com

there down the street from my shop, jon the owner is a picky guy his "regular" chrome job is better than most places show chrome... i've had him do some car parts in the past he's not cheap but i dont know that he's any more expensive than anyone else...

scotty

jrsqlc
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I have to agree....Jon has done some KILLER work for my cousins sprint car.
Great guy that does GREAT WORK!!!