PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing clutch disc on 200x

redskinman
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Ive got a motor thats being tore down for a top end,so while work was being done I want to check clutch.Ive never had motor installed so dont know if clutch was working properly.The manual says{while engine is in trike}to take off chain and put holder on sprocket to keep it from turning while removing clutch lock nut.Why cant you just leave chain hooked up and that would keep sprocket from moving? Also since I dont have a sprocket holder what do ya'll use?
2nd thing is,manual says"Clutch disc and plates should be replaced as a set if any one is beyond the service limit"
Does this mean if 1 clutch disc is bad,replace it and the plate,or does it mean if 1 clutch disc is bad replace all the clutch disc?

mtsnieg
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I guess on the first question, yes, guess I'd work. Never thought about it.

Second question, you want all the clutck pressure plates to be roughly the same. Best to replace all at once, plates, steelies, and springs.

Dirtcrasher
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I hold the basket with my hand and use an air impact gun.......

Simple, fast, easy and you don't need to own 25 special tools.

I'm not Snap-On!

Normally 1 clutch disc will not be bad, the steels will be blued or warped and the fibers under spec. Just measure them up.........

redskinman
03-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks for replies,but im still not sure of answer on clutch disc and plate.I have 3 boxes of oem honda parts,mostly obscure stuff that I had given to me,and in box I found 10 clutch plates for the 200x.I know it would be better to replace plates and spring,but I dont want to if I dont have to,im on a tight budget.So the question remains,if the plates look good can I just replace disc or is the manual saying if you replace a disc you need to replace the plate also?

ATCrider42
03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
the steels will be blued or warped and the fibers under spec. Just measure them up.........

read what dirtcrasher is telling you. he answered your question.

Dirtcrasher
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks for replies,but im still not sure of answer on clutch disc and plate.I have 3 boxes of oem honda parts,mostly obscure stuff that I had given to me,and in box I found 10 clutch plates for the 200x.I know it would be better to replace plates and spring,but I dont want to if I dont have to,im on a tight budget.So the question remains,if the plates look good can I just replace disc or is the manual saying if you replace a disc you need to replace the plate also?

It clearly tells you in the manual how to check the plates, both steel and fiber; So, read up :D

And don't forget to soak new plates in oil for an hour, never install dry plates.......

redskinman
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
thanks for replies.im not having trouble measuring plates,ya'll are not getting what im trying to ask so Ill try explaining again.Manual states"Clutch disc and plates should be replaced as a set if any one is beyond the service limit"
So lets say all the clutch plates look good and are within specs.So lets say 2 of the clutch disc need to be replaced.So when the manual says disc and plates need to be replaced as a set,does it mean since there are 2 bad disc,do I need to replace all 5 disc OR does it mean since there are 2 bad disc I need to replace the 2 bad disc and the 2 clutch plates that go beside them?

ailll1
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Normally 1 clutch disc will not be bad,

You wont have only 2 friction or steel plates out of specs. Most likely they will all have approximately the same wear. What the manual says is that you should replace all your friction and steel plates at once if they are worn. Dont replace only the 5 friction plates and keep the old steel plates.
Hope it clears it up.

Dirtcrasher
03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
How long do you think "patching up" the clutch will last??

I give up, he just doesn't wanna spend any cash and seems to ignore the manual and any advice.

"I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride!"........................................... Thats all that matters to many.

hoosierlogger
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
If you are going to spend the 4 or 5 hours tearing it down, why not replace them all at once like you are supposed to. It will cost you more downtime in the future because you were a tight ass today. And you will regret it.

redskinman
03-02-2011, 08:32 PM
How long do you think "patching up" the clutch will last??

I give up, he just doesn't wanna spend any cash and seems to ignore the manual and any advice.

"I wanna ride, I wanna ride, I wanna ride!"........................................... Thats all that matters to many.

Whoa now,im not ignoring anybodys advice or the manual,im just trying to understand the manual and not replace parts that I dont have to replace:wondering
Ailll1 has cleared it up for me.

redskinman
03-05-2011, 10:19 AM
A fellow member and newbie on 200x replaced his disc and plates but not the springs because he was told that would just make clutch lever harder to pull,whats the consensus on that?

hoosierlogger
03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
If the springs are still in spec I wouldnt worry about them. Although I cant imagine it being that much harder to pull the lever.

redskinman
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
If the springs are still in spec I wouldnt worry about them. Although I cant imagine it being that much harder to pull the lever.

yeah,im just going to replace everything
thanks

Dirtcrasher
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: